In honor of the 100th and the 442nd...

Guest smbutler

Guest smbutler

I watched a special about the Japanese-Americans who faught in Europe this weekend. I knew about these guys (the Nesai warriors --my spelling isn't right, I'm sure) before, but I was profoundly moved by the special. These Japanese-American units suffered 300% casualties during the course of the war, and won more purple hearts than any other US regiment. During the fight for the Vosages Forrest, more than 500 were killed or wounded trying to relieve a battalion of the 36th Division cut off behind enemy lines. They did all of this, of course, while their wives, sisters, mothers, etc. were locked up in internment camps. When and if I have the time, I'm going to do some research and try to recreate some of their encounters with the scenario editor. Anybody interested in teaming up with me?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>( the Nesai warriors --my spelling isn't right, I'm sure)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct name is "Nisei". An interesting subject for creating scenarios, for sure. Have a book about the Vosges battle, but won't be enough to help you I suppose.

Yet, if you manage to find some more documentation I'll be pleased to give some help.

Best regards,

Magnus

There is a book about the incident you described (the rescue of the battalion) called "The Lost Battalion". I can't recall the author's name but will look it up tonight and post it here. BTW, the 100th has an excellent website. Do a web search and you will find it. You won't regret it.

I saw a movie a few months ago called "Go For Broke" about the 442nd. It was made in the early Fifties and I was amazed at its anti-racist tone.

I would ahve expected this kind of movie in the sixties, but not in the Fifties before the Civil Rights movement began in earnest.

The movie actually wasn'y half bad, really.

Jason

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

I saw a movie a few months ago called "Go For Broke" about the 442nd. It was made in the early Fifties and I was amazed at its anti-racist tone.

I would ahve expected this kind of movie in the sixties, but not in the Fifties before the Civil Rights movement began in earnest.

The movie actually wasn'y half bad, really.

Jason<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jason,

There were several movies from the late 40's and the 50's that had anti-racial or anti-anti themes. The sixties was the culmination of the movements, not the beginning of them.

Some of these movies were military oriented but most were not...but they were hard hitting on the issues of racism, anti-semitism, anti-catholic, etc.etc.etc.