Sending crews to do an infantry's job - gamey?

i think the game treats crews in a good way.

But being an x-tanker and cavalryman 11E40, i take offense with you guys thinking tankers can't be infantrymen , i have a CIB (combat infantry badge)and earned it as a tanker doing what every cavalryman does, by dismounting and fighting, this tanker spent many of night laying in the jungle on ambush patrol or doing infantry search missions during the day , of course there was always armor support within a click or two. Gut no good cavalryman is worth his salt unless he can also be infantry. smile.gif

OK guys, tonight I sent 2 squads and an HQ into a building with one known German squad. I moved up my Cromwell to provide additional support even though I suspect an anti-tank team in the vicinity as well. As I said before, both of my squads have LOW ammo. My HQ unit has 5 rounds left. I purposely left my 6 crews out of harms way, although I did order them to lay down cover fire. Result? 2 dead squads, a dead HQ, and an abandoned Cromwell. Turns out there were 2 German squads (not one like I thought - clever bahstahd that AI) AND a shreck team in that building.

Without giving any spoilers away as to which scenario this was, I have no choice but to take this particular building. Unfortunately, all my squads with ammo are engaged elsewhere on the map so I have to make do with what I have. Now I'm left with an understrength platoon and 6 crews and one Sherman.

Gamey or not, the best strategy was to send in the crews who could at least fire back. And in the process give me the intel I needed to keep my Cromwell alive. My infantry squads did manage to unload some grenades and kill one of the two shreck guys, but it was too little too late for my Cromwell.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

Gamey or not, the best strategy was to send in the crews who could at least fire back. And in the process give me the intel I needed to keep my Cromwell alive. My infantry squads did manage to unload some grenades and kill one of the two shreck guys, but it was too little too late for my Cromwell.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, if you really believe that sending crews is a superior strategy over sending low ammo squads (who will, AFAIK shoot when threatened), we have to PBEM, and must make that a ladder game. I would assume that the only difference would have been six dead crews, instead of the other guys, and no intel. Sometimes you just have to accept that what you are trying to achieve is impossible or necessitates a major redeployment, methinks.

BTW, this is absolutely not meant personal or condescencding, but I believe you labour under some misconceptions, or maybe it is me not understanding the post.

------------------

Andreas

quote from cward

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I occasionaly have them run with other charging troops to draw fire. Only the AI will fall for this though.. it works great to get that turret rotating in the wrong direction<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now THAT is the definition of "gamey". While you could try and defend using crews to fortify a defensive position, or even help in an attack, using them only because the can draw fire (especially considering the TacAI tendacy to target crews) to screen your regular troops is what being gamey is all about.

Way to go.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

[bBTW, this is absolutely not meant personal or condescencding, but I believe you labour under some misconceptions, or maybe it is me not understanding the post.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No offense taken Germanboy. I saved the move before I hit go. I will reload tonight, replot to let the crews go in and see what happens. You guys may be right, it doesn't seem like you should be, but...I have never sent crews to attack before. I've always used them to guard prisoners or as picketts for my flanks. But I'm in a bind and desperate times call for desperate actions smile.gif. Will report in later.

Jeff

I'm a bit confused. You have an infantry platoon with low ammo and two tanks. Why don't you follow Mikeydz's advice and blast the hell out of the building? The enemy will either cut-and-run, allowing you to mow them down, or bury their heads in the floor taking cover, allowing your infantry to charge the building after a couple of turns. Either way, it sure beats charging a building full of unsuppressed infantry.