A bug report. Not a joke.

In my last game, one of my MG teams was captured but managed to escape later. However, despite having had his heavy weapons taken from him, the one surviving soldier was still unable to run. Did I miss something, or is this a bug?

That does bring up a good point. I know such details are probably low in priority, but at some point in time it would be good to strip prisoners of their weapons. I sent a prisoner toward the rear, only to have him active and armed once he got far enough away from his captors. The active thing is good (I should have gave him a guard), but I really don't think he should have had any weaponry after being captured.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

Guest Big Time Software

G4A, dunno... but I'll have Charles take a look at it. The guy should have been able to run.

ESchurlock, captives do not rearm themselves for exactly the reason you cited. I'm betting you didn't see what you thought you did, but if you DO see something like this... send it along. Surrendering has been in the game for something like a year and a half and I have never, ever seen them rearm. And of course I have captured LOTS of enemy soldiers smile.gif

Steve

Guest *Captain Foobar*

You know one funny thing that happened in VoT. I was defending in VoT, as Germans.

I had a US infantry squad lose their nerve and surrender as my Panther pulled along side them. And about 1 second after they had raised their hands in surrender, the Panther cut them down where they stood. HAHA, they must have looked at him funny or something. I was just chuckling to myself.. "whoa guys...Geneva Convention........."

I'm going to have to keep my South Park wav files handy: Ned:"They're coming straight for us!!!" Oh nevermind.... smile.gif

------------------

Life is tough...Its even tougher if you're stupid...

OK here's one to make the guys really laugh out loud...

do you mean to tell me you can order captured units around? I never even thought to right click on one of the poor bastards. I can make those SOBs go where I want them to? Jeeze-us.

Ya learn sumptin new ever day, huh?

Peng

waiting patiently for the manual

PS

Patrick Duffy was not harmed by this post, although the genetic engineering is getting pretty wiggy with the winky smiley varieties. look for new weapon systems soon.

------------------

Peng sez "die a lot now."

I have a question. How come some captured units will not move? You give them the orders and they just stand there turn after turn.Last time this happened, I captured a panzershreck team (1 guy dead),it said he was captured but reloading?I seriously thought about trying to gun him down because if he escaped and kept his shreck(that he was busily reloading)he'd of had a perfect shot in the ass of a sherman 75. There were plenty of men around him guarding him but he refused to budge from the spot he surrendered in. Any thoughts on this?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TinMan:

I have a question. How come some captured units will not move? You give them the orders and they just stand there turn after turn.Last time this happened, I captured a panzershreck team (1 guy dead),it said he was captured but reloading?I seriously thought about trying to gun him down because if he escaped and kept his shreck(that he was busily reloading)he'd of had a perfect shot in the ass of a sherman 75. There were plenty of men around him guarding him but he refused to budge from the spot he surrendered in. Any thoughts on this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps he was still panicked or so. I've heard in a different thread that some other players experienced the same problem. If you still have this file, check the moral condition of the surrendered Schreck Team, i would also like to know why it doesen't move.

Schuggerbaby

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

G4A, dunno... but I'll have Charles take a look at it. The guy should have been able to run.

EScurlock, captives do not rearm themselves for exactly the reason you cited. I'm betting you didn't see what you thought you did, but if you DO see something like this... send it along. Surrendering has been in the game for something like a year and a half and I have never, ever seen them rearm. And of course I have captured LOTS of enemy soldiers smile.gif

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have to keep a closer eye on that. Probably missinterpreted the event. I haven't given a prisoner an opportunity to escape since the first time it happened so I've only seen repatriated prisoners once.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

Two questions for Steve, and I'm drawing from another debate for one of them wink.gif

1) Will HMG units ever be able to run once their ammo is consumed to a level that would cease to encumber them?

2) Can captured units be moved even if they are in a state of panic/broken/etc? If I am panicked and then captured and my captor has a rifle pointed at my head telling me to move, I'd like to think I'd be moving (scared or not).

TeAcH

Guest Scott Clinton

TeAcH:

I'm not Steve...but IMO

1.) I doubt it. This would require that the code 'transform' the unit after the ammo was reduced to a certain level. It is possible but I am not sure how easy or worthwhile it would be considering the other things that could be done in the time it took to code this...plus keep in mind that ammo is NOT the ONLY extra equipment that HMGs carry (optics, extra barrels, ect.)

2.) No. Paniced-surrendered units can't move. I know 'cause it happend to me last week and I thought it was not only 'neat as Hell' VERY realistic. If a man 'breaks' and is blubbering on the ground...he ain't going nowhere until he gets his **** together. Trying to threaten him more is just as likely to scare and panic him more as it is to 'snap him out of it', IMO.

(posted for Steve in an effort to save him a few key-strokes)

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Thanks for the reply. Okay, I can see your point on #2, but on #1, ammo sounds like the main thing weighing the squad down (according to a discussion in another debate. So, I disagree with you on that one.

Thanks

TeAcH

I have been machinegunner in the army.

All equipment we had including spareparts and barrels and ammo was carried by the whole squad.

My cogunner carried the spare barrels and tools

I carried the gun and one box of ammo(most cases the belts around my neck)

The rest of the ammo was carried by the group.

When we had to run we carried the gun together.

No problems whatsoever.

Stoffel

"Too badly hurt to run"? Not in my army! I don't care how much it hurts, if i tell'em to run they better run! smile.gif KIA = AWOL.

Seriously, if they're too wounded to be effective, I think CM considers them casualties.

Guest Big Time Software

Scott pretty much answered as I would have smile.gif In theory an HMG Team should be allowed to run when there is a favorable ratio of men to ammo. This isn't so easy to calculate and it would be a pain to program. The other option is to have the unit magically be able to run when it is out of ammo. This might be possible to do, but I know for sure Charles will put it at the very bottom of our huge list of standing suggestions. There is only so much that we can do and since HMG units don't often run out of ammo AND have to relocate in a hurry, this doesn't seem to be a wise use of our time.

Stoffel, you appear to be talking about the SAW (LMG), and CM does allow these to Run with no problems. A 6 man HMG unit weighed down by a tripod, optics, spare barrels, and 4000-4500 rounds or so is a whole nother thing smile.gif

Steve

Steve you are right,I carried a MAG. I found it a little strange though but a mg42 with tripod and spareparts was carried by three soldiers and they sure could run(that was regarded as a heavy mg ,Or am I wrong?)

The mg 42 weighs almost the same as the Belgium MAG and standard ammo issue wasn't 4000 rounds.I saw pictures of German soldiers

one had the tripod on his back ,one carried the mg and a third carried most of the ammo boxxes while the gunner had a box on his back

correct me if I am wrong