PBEMing

Hey all.. Quick question, I know how the basic format of PBEM goes... But how long does it take most people to play a full game?? Are you expected to dload your turn like every so many hours or does it go 1 turn a day??? man.. a simple 20 turn game could take an eternity.... I am definatly interested in PBEM... If someone wants to gimme a try, my email is

stinky6@eathlink.net

I can garuntee you it wont be an easy fight... biggrin.gif

Zaff'

For what it's worth, my experience consists of two games with a player in Germany (I'm in the US). There's a seven-hour time difference, which limits our play window (we're able to devote roughly 3 hours per weekday). We were able to complete a small, defender = 400 point game (took 11 turns) in less than a week. We're now wrapping up a game roughly twice that size (now on turn 22 with maybe 2-3 turns left) after 8 days (excluding the weekend). After sending my turn, I keep my browser auto-checking for e-mail every few minutes, and update my "after" action report. I then go and watch some TV/read until my browser alerts me that the next turn has been received. It's been quite enjoyable.

[This message has been edited by WendellM (edited 07-31-2000).]

Zaffod,

I don't think you can really pin down an "average" length for a PBEM. I've played several and they all take a good, long while, with both sides swapping files once and sometimes even twice a day. At 3 file swaps for a turn, it's pretty rough to complete more than one turn a day, unless you can arrange a time with your opponent where you'll do nothing but send files and check for returns for a few hours (and IMHO, PBEM isn't really all that well suited for that... still too much waiting around while your opponent ponders how best to attempt your disassembly).

For myself, I don't mind the games taking a long time to conclude (generally a few weeks to a couple months, but it varies wildly depending upon how large the game is and how evenly matched it turns out to be). I often don't have several hours to time to dedicate to a single sitting anyway.

When we get the TCP/IP patch, things should definitly speed up.

Papa

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zaffod:

Hey all.. Quick question, I know how the basic format of PBEM goes... But how long does it take most people to play a full game?? Are you expected to dload your turn like every so many hours or does it go 1 turn a day??? man.. a simple 20 turn game could take an eternity.... I am definatly interested in PBEM... If someone wants to gimme a try, my email is

stinky6@eathlink.net

I can garuntee you it wont be an easy fight... biggrin.gif

Zaff'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's a suggestion......play alot of PBEM's all at once, then you won't mind how slow it seems to take. I've got 10 going and that keeps me incredibly busy. Berli, on the other hand has something like 32 games going.

I usually get anywhere from 5-10 turns to play each day, depending on how much time I have.

Sounds interesting... I hope a window between 5pm and like 1 am would be ample to conduct a few games.. Id like to give it a try. At heart, im a rts man that loves raw incontinuous action.. but i think i could get the hang of this down purtty easy....

Any condidates who live in Eastern or Mid US???

Zaff'