Need help with CMMOS rule sets please

I decided to upgrade CMMOS to 4.03 now that I have broadband. I installed CMMOS 4.03 to its default location C:\Program Files\GEM Software Productions\CM Mod Option Selector. Next I downloaded the allied rule set to C:\My Documents\My Downloads. The User Readme seems to suggest that for CMBO the rule sets are self extracting and should install to the right place automatically, however, when I double click on the rule set I see that it unpackages the program, but then it does not seem to install it anywhere. I gathered from reading other posts that the rule sets are supposed to appear in the C:\Program Files\GEM Software Productions\CM Mod Option Selector\CMBO folder, but nothing is in there except the FileLists and Mods folder. Is it possible the self extracting file is bad or should I be downloading the rule sets somewhere else so they can find the CMMOS folders? The program does not ask me where to install to. I think that was the same in previous versions, but I did not have trouble with those. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

[ February 22, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Jim L. ]

What you need to do once you have the zip downloaded is to go into your CMMOS Beyond Overlord part and you'll see a configure icon down on the lower left,click on that and then it goes to your add remove screen.Make sure you click on the rulesets icon in the upper left and then click add,it will pop up a window and I usually d/load my zips into the mod option selector folder cause it's easier to find your ruleset or mod but if it's not in there just look in whatever file you d/loaded it to find it and then click on open that's in that window that popped up and your ruleset is applied.It will show you that in the left side box whatever rules you have installed.In CMBO you must install the actual mods into your bmp file whereas in CMMBB the rulesets and the mods are zip files that you add the same way as I just explained but you must make sure your in the CMMBB part of the CMMOS.Hope this helps.

Major Gregg,

Thanks for trying to help! Unfortunately I don't think it worked. The drop down tab on the bottom right has Beyond Overlord selected. I can't select Barbarossa to Berlin because I don't have the game yet (Shame, shame, I know...). Anyways, I next select "Configure" on the bottom left (I thought the User Readme said this does not apply to CMBO, but I tried it anyway per your instructions), and then "Rule-sets" on the top left. Next I hit "Add" on the bottom left. A window opens, and I browse to where the rule set was downloaded to. I have to change the file type on the bottom of the window to "SFX Files" instead of "Zip Files" since the CMBO rule sets are self-extracting exe files, and then I hit "Open". Nothing appears to happen. I close out of the configure window and still nothing appears in the main CMMOS window. I go to the CMBO folder in CMMOS to see if I can see any rule set folders in there, but I only see Filelists and Mods folders. Am I looking in the right place to make sure the rules are loading? I guess even if I'm not, CMMOS still does not see any folders. Does anyone know how to check an SFX file to see if it's functioning properly? I don't need to restart my computer or anything before I see the rule sets do I? Thank you for your help! I'm sure we can figure this out eventually. smile.gif

[ February 22, 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Jim L. ]

I think you made two very useful suggestions in your original post. The self-extracting ruleset files may have become corrupted, or the program may not like where you're downloading things to. So you might want to try downloading again since the rulesets aren't all that big.

I seem to recall that at some point you get prompted to check some boxes to indicate which rulesets you want. If you forget to check any, I don't think you'll get any rulesets. I know it sounds silly, but you might want to make sure this isn't what's happening.

The other thing that I remember Gordon mentioning is that those self-extractor programs are extremely sensitive to other things (anything) running in the background. So you might want to make sure everything else is shut down before you run it.

If none of this solves your problem we can start thinking about a manual install. This is not really a big deal, since it is the way the rulesets were installed up until not all that long ago. And yes, it all goes in the CMMOS CMBO folder: when you look inside you'll see a file list folder and a whole bunch of ruleset folders.

Hmmm. I right clicked on the rule set and selected "Quick View" which produced some report that unfortunately meant nothing to me, but might mean something to someone else more computer literate than me. I also then opened the file using WinZip. I noticed the path of all the files was to "disk1". I'm wondering if that shouldn't say C:\GEM Software Productions\CM Mod Option Selector\CMBO\Allied Rule Set or somefink like that? smile.gif

Hey Philippe,

I posted my reply before I saw your post. I'll download the rule sets again and make sure everything else is closed out. I remember with earlier versions of the rule sets that the program did prompt you to ask you which specific rules you wanted to download. FWIW I was not prompted at all this time when I double clicked on the rule set. I'll try it again though and let you know what happens. Thanks!

Guys,

Thanks for everyone's help. I got the Allied rule sets to work. I guess you were right Philippe, the SFX files are sensitive or something. This time I downloaded the rule set to my desktop instead of C:\My Documents\My Downloads. I made sure no other programs were open although I did have programs open in the background that automatically start at start-up. Anyways, this time after unpacking the files wininstall kicked in which didn't happen in previous attempts, and I was prompted to select which rules to install. I didn't change anything since the default had all of them checked. Now the rules appear in CMMOS! Yahoo! Thanks again everyone. Time to start downloading big time. :D