What $37.00 (US) can buy these days...

Guest Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

My girlfriend and I just got back from our weekly sortie to our favorite book store and I just wanted to share my experience. This store is one of those 1/2 price style stores(there are two here in Cincinnnati) and great bargains can usually be found there. Books are all 1/2 the cover price on hardback and more on paperbacks. Most current books are also available at such discounted prices. I don't know exactly how they manage to do it but I love um for it! biggrin.gif

Tonight I didn't really have an agenda as such, just thought I would browse the Military History section and see what caught my eye.. Well I struck gold...

After about an 15 minutes I had amassed the following booty:

Overlord- Max Hastings, this book has received rave reviews from people here on the forum and it high time I took it for a spin! Price $5.48

Six Armies in Normandy- John Keegan, hey it's by Keegan, what more do you want?!? This copy is thoughly thumbed and I bet the original owner was heart broken to part with it...Price $4.98

Victory in Europe -Julian Thompson, I will be honest, the fact this book was publish in co-operation with the Imperial War Museum was enough to make it a must buy for me. Has some great pictures in it...Oversized version...Price $12.48

A Bridge Too Far- Cornelius Ryan, A great book and my original copy dispeared some time ago. This version was an early edition hardback with a cool black silhoute dust jacket...A great deal at $5.98

and finally,

Great Battles of World War II, John MacDonald, this is the one with the computerized battle maps and such. I will use it primarily for source material in scenario map making...Price for oversized hardcover version, $12.98

Grand total with tax and %15 off coupon was 37 dollars!!!! biggrin.gif

Not bad at all, all books in great condition (except for Six Armies but its got style) and I have added some great material to my WWII collection. I strongly recommend you check your local area for such 'Bargain Book' stores before venturing on-line or to one of the Mega-Book stores...There were many other books that I recognized but didnt pick up...That will be next weeks trip! Take care all and happy reading! smile.gif

Madmatt out cool.gif

p.s. I will diving into Overlord next! biggrin.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 02-07-2000).]

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Great Battles of World War II, John MacDonald, this is the one with the computerized battle maps and such. I will use it primarily for source material in scenario map making.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have that book too. Pretty good idea to use it for scenario design. Seems like I picked my copy up in Washington, D.C. at the Arlington National Cemetary giftshop back in '89!

There is also another book in the series called "Great Battles of the World". It had a few more WWII battles in it.

------------------

"I want you to remember that...no bastard ever won a war...by dying for his country...He won it...by making the other poor dumb bastard...die for his country."--George S. Patton

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 02-07-2000).]

Guest GriffinCheng

Matt, I am *jealous* of you!!!

How come no such bargin book shop in Hong Kong? I have some of your books, but I got them in the expensive way : Amazon....

"A Bridge Too Far" and "Great Battles of World War II" are very good read. I cannot find "Victory in Europe by Julian Thompson" on-line somehow.

A side note, some of Ospey books do feature hand-drawn maps of individual battles, not computer-generated terrian maps though, could be helpful.

Hey Matt, what did your girlfriend think after your happy shopping? smile.gif

Guest Madmatt

Well she couldn't say much since her stack of books was higher than the top of her head! biggrin.gif

Honestly, one of the things...One of the MANY things I love about her is her own love of reading! This girl just absorbs books at an incredible rate! She even read Guy Sajers (I still think its real!) Forgotten Soldier in about 3 nights. She comes over my house and I while I slave away on CM and the CMHQ site she sits and reads. I usually feel bad as by the the time I finish up she is already fast asleep. I am truely lucky to have someone who is understanding of my obsessions! But in case she reads this, she can be a raging BITCH too! wink.gif

Honey?...errr I was just kidding...Baby...Umm put down the butcher nife punkin'...Sweety?!? OH GOD!?! eek.gif AGhhhhhhhh ackkkkkkl plottlttkjjfdskfsdaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...gurgle... bye bye...help...

I'm actually after a book that has front, side, top and rear profile pic of every vehicle and gun in WW2, including several camo varients and symbols....... smile.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my music while your there! :P

Guest GriffinCheng

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>She even read Guy Sajers (I still think its real!) Forgotten Soldier in about 3 nights.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are a lucky man! Does she have any sister or something? wink.gif Definitely she have memory like an elephant! Is she a Geminian or Cancerian?

Guest Madmatt

Ummm, she has big breast....In three years I never got around to asking her sign! confused.gif

Her birthday is in the middle of December, is that...Gemini maybe?

Man am I in hot water now! She thought the knife post was cute, she is really going to be pissed about this one! eek.gif

{noise in the background}

Oh, Hello honey....Me? Oh I am just posting on the internet.....You?!? NO, I learned my lesson, its not about you baby...Ummm, you wanna see?!?..Well errr...ummm sdljfasjldfhlsdfhhsdfhsfdsdal;gkjasdgjhasdfuh

gifuo1295761465fgqwoygftqeo7

Damn I turned off the computer!....What?!? It's still on?!? I just smashed the keyboard is all you say...huh....Sure sure, you can sit down here...Just skip that thread honey its all about something called a nahvergundaffe or something. Never mind it...No! Thats not the same thread as before...Ummm I am just going to water the lawn honey, you go and read...ummm honey why is the door locked? Err why is the gun rack empty....? ummm Oh JESUS! I AM SOOOOORRRRRYYYYYYYY AGHHAGGAHAHGGAHAHGGAHAGHHGGHHGHgheejwaekjsfd..............................................

........help.......................

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 02-08-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolColJ:

I'm actually after a book that has front, side, top and rear profile pic of every vehicle and gun in WW2, including several camo varients and symbols....... smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When CM 22 comes out in 10 years, your dreams will be answered... biggrin.gif