3dfx exits card business

Glad to hear that! They made a mistake buying STB (although at the time I agreed with the acquisition) and now they're owning up to it. Unfortunately for me, I lost money in their damned stock during that time, but still...I love their products.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest kking199

This is bad news, I hope they stay in the market. Competition is what the consumer needs, whomever you think is the best, the current Voodoo and GeForce cards would not be what they are without the other. 3Dfx created the market, my first two 3D cards were Voodoo's, but Nvidia really hit a home run with the Geforce cards. I hope the other smaller chip makers keep at it to keep Nvidia honest. I am sure they are having a party at Nvidia HQ's though.

I wa sunder the impression that 3dFX is intending to basically do what NVidia is doing; design and release chipsets to sell to other manufacturers.

If that is the case, this could be good for the market. This evens the playing field between the two companies, and allows for a wide varity of choice for the consumer. Now you will not have to limit your choice of Voodoo graphics cards to those made only by 3dFX.

Jeff Heidman

I think some of you are misunderstanding what 3dfx is doing. They are NOT exiting the chip market, they are outsourcing their graphic card manufactoring capability. In other words, they will be just as they were before they bought STB. And I think their next chip (codename Rampage) is not that far off in the future.

Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpinard:

Juardis - sorry to hear you lost money on them.

It's going to be a very long time before they release anything new...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. It was actually my fault for not selling when it was above 30$. I got greedy.

Anyway, it sounds like they're going back to making the chips like they were when they were making Voodoo2's. They then sell the chips to vid card makers (Creative, Guillemot, Elsa, Asus, etc) so that THEY make the cards. This is the way it was, this is the way nVidia does things, and this is the way 3dfx will go back to doing business. Unfortunately, there aren't as many card makers as there used to be. Diamond is gone, Canopus is gone, STB is gone.

But as I said above, this is a good move for 3dfx. They obviously sucked at making cards but they are very good at making chips.

------------------

Jeff Abbott