US aa-halftracks

Yes - very disappointed these are not in the game. frown.gif

I didn't realize it until I started creating a scen based on the battle of Parker's Crossroads (Baraque de Fraiture - Ardennes, 1944).

The US had 3 (!) M16 MGMC dug in around the crossroads.

I don't know if the scen will possible w/out them - they held of the SS for quite a while.

Maybe I'll give them some extra .50 cal teams instead.....

When I was kid M16 was one of my favorite vehicles wink.gif

Many Bulge releated scenarios should indeed include M16s as an option. Afterall it just a variant of M3. Not so hard to model and texture in 3D, even the 50.Cals are included as infantry weapons.

Add me to the list of those wishing for an M-16 or M-15. They actually did see a fair amount of action during the war. The Bulge for sure and some other actions. I just read an account of one and how it took out a German 50mm bunker at Omaha beach. They put a stream of .50 and 37mm thru the bunker slot and the shots ricocheted about inside. The bunker and gun are still there and you can see the damage the M-15 did to them. The is a plaque over the firing slit comemerating the AAA unit that landed there and knocked the bunker out.

Has there been an official ruling form BTS on whether or not they will be added in the future? Add-on Pack?

thanks,

Kevin

Guest Simon

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kverdon:

Add me to the list of those wishing for an M-16 or M-15. They actually did see a fair amount of action during the war. The Bulge for sure and some other actions. I just read an account of one and how it took out a German 50mm bunker at Omaha beach. They put a stream of .50 and 37mm thru the bunker slot and the shots ricocheted about inside. The bunker and gun are still there and you can see the damage the M-15 did to them. The is a plaque over the firing slit comemerating the AAA unit that landed there and knocked the bunker out.

Kevin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Nothing Less than Victory" by Russell Miller?

I just read the first hand account of that last night... and was going to bring this subject up myself.

The flak HT in question apears to be a special varient or "funny"... Not only did it have the Quad .50 cal it had a 37mm flak. I was under the impression that the M16 only had the Quad .50 and the M15A1 only had the 37mm flak and two (seperate) .50 AAMG's

(not that that's anything to sneeze at biggrin.gif )

Anyone else ever heard of this monster? I'd like to add it to my SP:WAW OOB's but don't know if it had a separate designation (M16A1 perhaps?). Or was it just a field modification?

The anecdote was particularly interesting in light of that bunker thread complaining about firing slit shots wink.gif

------------------

Simon

http://members.tripod.com/~sjuncal/ammodump/

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon:

The flak HT in question apears to be a special varient or "funny"... Not only did it have the Quad .50 cal it had a 37mm flak. I was under the impression that the M16 only had the Quad .50 and the M15A1 only had the 37mm flak and two (seperate) .50 AAMG's

(not that that's anything to sneeze at biggrin.gif )

Anyone else ever heard of this monster? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the M15 had a 37mm main gun with 2 .50 cals coaxially mounted to either side. One other difference from the M16 was that the entire rear end of the vehicle was a gun "tub" that operated like a turret. The M16, of course, has a small turret mounted in the back of a (mostly) stock M3 HT.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

I would like to know if it is a big nuisance to add AA halftracts to the game. They could use armor values of M3 and weapon statistis somewhat similar to wirlberwind (taking account the range limitations, greater rate of fire etc). I think a lot of gamers would really appreciate this kind of add-on wink.gif

Guest Simon

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

Actually, the M15 had a 37mm main gun with 2 .50 cals coaxially mounted to either side. One other difference from the M16 was that the entire rear end of the vehicle was a gun "tub" that operated like a turret. The M16, of course, has a small turret mounted in the back of a (mostly) stock M3 HT.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That makes sense, I was assuming the 2 .50's were just normally mounted AAMG's.

Let me ask, the 37mm flak was this usually "dual" on the M15a1? Or was it just a single gun? the reason I ask is in one Omaha landing anecdote (described in the earlier post) the halftrack is quoted as having "Quaddruple .50-caliber machine guns and dual 37mm automatic rifles" by the Lt. in charge of the section/platoon.

I didn't realize it at first but this isn't the same fellow/unit that silenced the bunker, I got two different stories confused, they're about 2 pages apart. smile.gif

------------------

Simon

http://members.tripod.com/~sjuncal/ammodump/

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon:

[bLet me ask, the 37mm flak was this usually "dual" on the M15a1? Or was it just a single gun?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, just a single. IIRC, there were only minor differences between the M15 and M15A1. Mostly to do with improvements in the gun mounts and the splinter shield, I think.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Guest Big Time Software

M15/16 are cool - sorry we just didn't have time to make the models. They're extremely time consuming and would have further delayed the release of the game.

Charles

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kverdon:

Charles,

Any chance of adding them in an add-on?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While we are at it, can we have the SP 40mm Bofors on Crusader chassis too? They were in service with the LAA regiments of at least some UK infantry divisions. And after Normandy the guns were apparently issued ground visors, in realisation of the fact that the Luftwaffe was finished. I want something for my Pommies to play with. But only if it does not go to the detriment of other improvements.

------------------

Andreas