What does "Gold" mean?

Hello Comrades

I know its not the most intelligent question, but I'd really like to know what "going gold" means.

I keep seeing it, but its never been explained.

Can anyone tell me please.

Thanks,

Terence

PS. Feel free to mock me as much as you want as long as you actually tell me the answer.

'Hello, Terrence.'

'Hello, Phillip.'

'Pull my finger.'

Brrrrrrt!!!

'Ha Ha Ha'

The Gold version is the final, no more testing needed, version of the software. The one that is released for general consumption.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks: You rock, Croda<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Going Gold is typically the term used when software has been sent by a software company to a CD pressing company. ie., the software is ready and will be shipping soon.

IIRC the term itself refers to the gold color of the master CD.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

Thanks!

Very much appreciated.

Now that you guys mention it, it seems likely that this stems from the shiny, golden color of the Compact Disk.

Terence.

ps. now Phillip smells like my butt!!!

hahahahaha!!!

pps. im a Member now. how rich this day is.

[This message has been edited by Terence (edited 11-30-2000).]

I learn something new every day.

I thought it meant units sold. Like in the recording industry. CM "Gone Gold" I thought they had sold X number of copies or had X number of pre-orders.

And here I was all happy wallowing in my ignorance.

Anyone know where I can read some more AARs?

Naturally, this is all far different from 'Solid Gold' which was an American television show in the late '70s and early '80s dedicated to showcasing the worst music America had to offer, and known mostly for the 'Solid Gold Dancers:' a troop of scantily dressed women who physically and rhythmically interpreted the music being played.

And now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks: You rock, Croda<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>