Churchill AVRE!

Just took a peek at the latest vehicle list and noticed this little beauty smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif(smiley overload time). Oh, you little teases, BTS. And I thought you weren't going to put it in. All your hard work is much appreciated. The little details on top of the main features are what will make this game a true classic. Little touches like the late war German uniforms in the gold demo ARE noticed by the real anoraks like me. Vehicle list is more than comprehensive. Any future requests? Well the strange vehicles used by the 21st Panzers in Normandy would be nice (the Becker conversions and the old PzIVBs and Cs but I know you already have those in mind).

Cheers!

Mike

Guest Big Time Software

Do NOT mention Becker in my view for at least another 2-3 months smile.gif Man, that guy really tried to make our lives difficult! "Gee, how many unique bastardized vehicles can I make and how few can I actually have produced" biggrin.gif Man that is annoying!

We honestly didn't think the AVRE was going to be included. In fact, it was the VERY last vehicle added. And even that was by the skin of its, uhm, by the treads of its, no that isn't right, uhm, well it was just damned lucky to get included is all I meant to say wink.gif

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeO:

Just took a peek at the latest vehicle list and noticed this little beauty smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif(smiley overload time). Oh, you little teases, BTS. And I thought you weren't going to put it in. All your hard work is much appreciated. The little details on top of the main features are what will make this game a true classic. Little touches like the late war German uniforms in the gold demo ARE noticed by the real anoraks like me. Vehicle list is more than comprehensive. Any future requests? Well the strange vehicles used by the 21st Panzers in Normandy would be nice (the Becker conversions and the old PzIVBs and Cs but I know you already have those in mind).

Cheers!

Mike <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there some info out there about some of these conversions? What exactly did this Beck...er person do?

[This message has been edited by CEO (edited 05-17-2000).]

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

This may be a stupid question, but did Germany use any captured T-34s in Western Europe?

Guest Big Time Software

No, the Germans did not use heavy Soviet stuff on the Western Front (or any other front). My guess is spare parts. In the SU if your T34 breaks down there are plenty of parts lying around in collection yards of battlefields smile.gif

The Germans did use the 76mm AT gun a lot, especially pre 1944.

This German officer who shall not be named for several more months was like Frankenstein. He grafted little bits and pieces of this and that together to make horribly abominations that were called "[name of he who is Evil]'s vehicles". They were generally second rate stop gap measures utilizing mostly 1940 war booty and contemporary weapons to get ready for the invasion.

His most successful vehicle was the Marder I, which we unfortunately did not have time to make from scratch. Only a couple dozen served in the Normandy battles, and then after that they were found here and there. There was a total of some 160 of these made, making it one of the more plentiful of his creations.

Steve

Guest Babra

Ah, is that the fellow of the same (un)name who created the Hotchkiss vehicles used by Assault Gun Battalion 200 as pictured in von Luck's book?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babra:

Ah, is that the fellow of the same (un)name who created the Hotchkiss vehicles used by Assault Gun Battalion 200 as pictured in von Luck's book?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why, yes, it is. He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named was a personal friend of the commander of the 21st Panzer Div, in which von Luck served. You may scoff, but von Luck said that the converted Hotchkis assault guns of Battalion 200 accounted well of themselves...

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

No, the Germans did not use heavy Soviet stuff on the Western Front (or any other front). My guess is spare parts. In the SU if your T34 breaks down there are plenty of parts lying around in collection yards of battlefields smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have thought logistics too, but differently - IIRC, the Germans did not ship tanks between different theatres, but only crews who then took over tanks either in Germany or at the front they were sent to. If they did not do that for their own tanks, why would they start with captured vehicles.

BTW, I read an account of the first encounter of US soldiers and T34/85 in Korea and the way the 2" Bazooka just bounced off the armour of these monsters. They could not actually kill them until they received the new 3" Bazooka, according to that source. Can't wait for a CM Korea extension - I have forgotten if we will ever get one, but I sure hope so.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee:

It's a possibility for CM5. smile.gif

Would be fun, huh? Get to have Corsairs come in for air strikes. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the last stand of the Gloucestershire batallion, the Chosin reservoir, Marine units overwhelmed by Chinese attackers, T34/85 battling with Shermans, defending the Pusan perimeter, all that in the worst possible terrain to fight a war excuse me while I start drooling...

------------------

Andreas

Guest R Cunningham

AVRE huh? I hated running up against those in CC2. Question. How is the muzzle-loading nature of the petard mortar handled/modeled/treated? I can't see a special animation of the crew, but there should be some enhanced vulnerability of the crew.

Hehe, Steve, its at least 3 mths since I mentioned the good Major so I figured you had probably forgotten about him wink.gif

Anyhow I promise never to mention the 'B'-word ever again smile.gif. You DO believe me don't you??...

On_Track_Models_3506A.jpg

On_Track_Models_3506d.jpg

oops sorry...

[This message has been edited by MikeO (edited 05-18-2000).]