To all Aussie - Stalingrad the movie on tonite - SBS thursday 27th 10.00

Whoops missed it tongue.gif

I didn't like when I saw it on video a while back

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

My HomePage -----> www.geocities.com/coolcolj/

Check out my Tweaked Textures for the CM Beta Demo and my Saving Private Ryan Sound Set mod! Oh Yeah - Have a listen to some of my music too! When i get my record deal...you may have to pay for it ...

Guest Zigster

I didn't like it. My major problem with it isn't the fault of the film-makers. The events it was trying to capture are just too monumentally huge to be portrayed in a couple of hours. I seem to recall I had other dislikes about it, but I haven't seen it for years...

Peter,

See Das Boot... Just go see it, accept no excuses or substitutes.. Don't accept the cut version see the entire 5 or 6 hours of it (I forget how long it is but its long... 2 tapes kind of long wink.gif )....

It's very good.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Kettle Black

Yes definately see Das Boot!

Also two Finnish movies that are great:

"A Winter War" and "Unknown Soldier"

Unknown Soldier was made in two different versions, one in b/w made during the 50's(?) and one made 1985/86. I would love to get hold of the original b/w one. I agree with a previous poster, capturing something like Stalingrad in 2-3 hrs is impossible. Still, it is a good movie imo.

------------------

Kettle Black

"The End? With practically everyone still on their feet? Over my dead body!"

The Player, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead"

Ya Das Boot is better. Watched the first half hour of Stalingrad last night...Brought back the things I didn't like about the film...mainly the crappy acting and very melodramatic battle scenes.

Ended up turning it off and reading "The Naked and the Dead" a book about a squad of Marines in the PTO.

Guest phoenix

Stalingrad movie....

Ugh. Has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Pathetic. To even mention it in the same sentence as Das Boot.

The Das Boot DVD is considered to be one of the best DVD's of all time. I have still yet to pick it up though, but it's full length directors cut with much better sound. I remember seeing the original in the theater when I was a kid. Man, talk about intense. I don't think I've seen it since!

Das Boot has to have the most realistic depth charge sequences I've ever seen in a submarine movie. It's especially intense when viewing the Director's Cut with 8 tracks of Digital Surround Sound. Just to get a fact out, total running time is 209 min. (3 hr 29 min).

Alright Fionn, you conviced me I will check it out...If it is a German movie then I would like to get a German language version, I don't mind subtitles + I understand a bit German. That means I guess it is on 2 DVDs ?

Peter

Guest Zigster

I remember watching the subtitled version of Das Boot. One of the crewmen yelled "Scheiss!" (sp). The subtitle read "Damn!". Oh well. Still better than dubbed.

Guest phoenix

Risc, it's a double sided disc. You can listen to it in German, English or Spanish. And at the same time run subtitles in English Spanish or French. Can't beat it!

I own the DVD, and no, it is on one DVD, but both sides if i remember correctly. The best thing was after watching the movie, going back and listening to the directors about each scene. For example, at the beginning when the crew is partying, the director remarks that one of the leads characters was really drunk. LOL. Also, everything that happened in the movie, REALLY happened to that crew. If you have a dvd, you MUST have das boot. now I have a sudden urge to watch it again.

Tim

Also, everything that happened in the movie, REALLY happened to that crew.

Except the ending.

I've also read that when Buchheim's book was originally published some old U-boatmen stated that the general fatalistic attitude of the crew was wrong for the period (Oct 27, 1941 -- Dec 6, 1941) and corresponds more to the situation in late '43 and '44.

- Tommi