Sloped roads....Who uses them?

I am curious why some of the roads up hills can't be traversed by AFV's. It does not seem real to have a road that is so sloped it cannot even be climbed by tracked vehicles. Any explinations?

Also, it would be nice to have a tile that could be placed flat (read level) no matter what the elevations to either side are. I want to create a road cutting through and wrapping around the side of a hill but cannot get the effect I am looking for. I propose that the tile quickly slope up or down near the edge (or both as needed)to create a road with steep hills on both sides. I tried but only get a) a wide plateau or B) a slanted to the side road.

Just some thoughts

Von Shrad

been along time since I been in a tank or M113 but there most certainly were some dirt tract/"roads" that were very difficult for the tracks to go up (even dry) but a jeep or hummer could.

also what are the ground conditions, if they are wet or worse, need I say more?

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

Look at the road in VoT where the Amis start. The road cant be climed fully. Also, in a QB the comp. created a road that could'nt be driven over by anything. It just says 'slope' and is a forbidden move. I can understand that terrain,even open, cant be climbed for certain reasons. But roads? That doesnt make sense to me.

BTW, they were dry.

I have been messing with the Editor. Doing that I discovered the anti-slope characterstics of the engine. Careful map elevation design avoids that problem. A pecular thing is that within a tile, portions may have impassable slope while others are passable. I found in one test that I had to run all my traffic over to one extreame side of the road to pass successfully. It created a bottle neck for traffic of some inconvience.

A suggestion for designers: test all roads running over or adjacent to elevation changes for slope properties. It requires running paths over enough portions of the road for adequate recon. It seems that all vehicles have the equal slope capabiities.

Guest Michael emrys

But yes, if I may say so, a cut tile should be high on the list of things to add to the game at some point. Cuts for railroads too.

BTW, are there footpaths that speed leg units moving through, say, woods but are impassible to vehicles? Do wooden bridges qualify as foot only, or will they take light vehicles?

Michael