WWII fps upcoming game. Immersive

Guest John Maragoudakis

Guest John Maragoudakis

While we are waiting, and since we are all interested in WW2, here's a site for a new fps game. It's massively online. You can be an infantry soldier, tanker, fighter pilot.

Check out the site:

http://www.wwiionline.com/index.html#overview

and put in a good word for Combat Mission, those guys are interested in WW2.

One of the fan sites, http://www.hq.wwiionline.com/ , has a load of 'teams' starting up in preparation for the war. You can join Germany's paras. Even the navy will take part.

Guest John Maragoudakis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>you play an infantryman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True enough. I tried the half life demo and will very probably buy thier game. The machinegun effect is just soooo violent.

If this game is as good as half life in regards to effects...wargame heaven. Can you imagine being part of a squad of say paratroopers against american imfantry and violently ripping each other apart?

Heh, I'm a gentle person in person, but it would be a great way to release some stress. smile.gif

I think that the people involved with warbirds are behind this so I imagine it is not free.

There are uboats too. You can try to cut off supplies to those infantry. It would feel quite nice to know that that merchant ship you sunk will affect real players in real time.

Guest John Maragoudakis

WW2 online and Combat mission compliment each other. CM would be a good tool to practice your tactics in WW2 online before you instruct squads made up of real people to follow your tactics.

Guest Tom punkrawk

I've been following WW2 Online for a while now and it looks to be great. Heck I even started a group, the 3rd Parachute Brigade(british).

The fact that everything effects everything is interesting. You have to get supplys up to the front, men, everything.

It's not going to be free to play online, the download will be free, but it'll be a flat rate, someone mentioned $30 a month but it may be less(at least I hope so).

The only thing I'm afraid of, is that it'll attract all these gung ho players who just go into combat blazing away using no tactics and acting on their own. Hopefully that won't happen but I doubt it won't.

blah blah blah

Couple of point on this topic. First, the days of really simulating a squad of infantrymen, each controlled by a single person, are just not yet here, unless you are all running DSL. The problem is communication. Now, with game commander, you can tie in a bunch of text commands for display with a voice command. You say 'Move left', game commander recognizes your voice command and types out 'move left' on the text box in the game. If doesn't transcribe your voice, it recognizes the pattern of the command and initiates a keyboard combination to display the scripted message. Basically a voice activated script. Roger Wilco is another option, it opens a separate voice channel that runs in the background. Everyone meets at that channel and talks. Unfortunately it increases lag. IMO, we really need a big mainstream bandwidth increase, probably DSL or ADSL, before this kind of thing will work well. 56k just aint going to cut it.

Secondly, re: Halflife. There are several mods available, my favorite being Counter-Strike (www.counter-strike.net). It's a terrorist vs. anti-terrorist game were, 1 shot CAN equal one kill. No powerups, no lava, no monsters, just realistic weapons and semi-realistic wound effects. Plus body armor, NVG's, flash bangs, etc. Someone is also doing a mod for WWII with the Halflife engine. You'll find it on that website, I can't remember the name of it.

Civdiv wrote:

First, the days of really simulating a squad of infantrymen, each controlled by a single person, are just not yet here, unless you are all running DSL.

Depends whether you want to do it on-line or not! :)

I'm sure have others have had similar experiences to me - the chief of the NZ army simulation section (it's not a big army!!) invited the local wargaming club around to have a play one Saturday. It's where I first met TacOps.

Anyway - Delta force on 16 linked PC's with 19" screens. Need I say more?? biggrin.gif

They didn't actually break out the headsets & microphones for us, but they're there for "real" training.

Mike

Yes ive been following WW2 online for awhile,ive joined the 2nd SS div .

Shame on me though being Ex NZ soldier mybe i should have joined a ANZAC formation.Oh well just love the german stuff

ok, on the half-life WW2 game. It is called team fortress 2. It is a stand alone product and is based on teams. Teamwork is the key, Game should be out real soon and looks real good. I haven't heard of WW2 online, i'll have to check that out.

Lorak

------------------

"A stupid man dies a stupid death."

Guest John Maragoudakis

Just bought the Half-Life Adrenaline pack. Includes opposing force,team fortress classic and the original half-life.

Thanks for the link to counter strike civdiv.

I downloaded the mod and then realised that you need the half-life game not just the demo.

Someone should do a Grozny scenario with the counterstrike mod. The Russian troops sure need the practice.

Guest John Maragoudakis

Hey Titan, I just sent off my application for the 2n SS panzer Division Das Reich.

Looking to role the panzer grenadier infantry. Maybe we'll be in the same foxhole smile.gif.

Punkrock, I'll be looking for you. If I see you during the game, I'll wave and then shoot you dead. hehe , nahh..I won't wave. smile.gif

Guest John Maragoudakis

Combat Mission clearly shows that all sides are deadly if used properly. Use your zooks against tanks. Tanks against machinegun teams. LOS, range, everything that you use in CM should work in WW2 online.

Cool point; unlike half life, there is no floating cross for aiming. You actually have to aim the weapon.

Just like to add-

There is a mod called Russian Front for Half-life - that's simlar to TFC, but ww2 based off course

check it here

http://www.planethalflife.com/borderline/mods/rfront/

It looks very nice!

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

My HomePage -----> www.geocities.com/coolcolj/

Check out my Tweaked Textures for the CM Beta Demo and my Saving Private Ryan Sound Set mod! Oh Yeah - Have a listen to some of my music too! When i get my record deal...you may have to pay for it ...

Guest Tom punkrawk

You'd think I'd wear that thing into combat...

You can tell me from the big coat I'll be wearing...(which when you re-enact in oregon, that paratrooper smock comes in very handy... damn rain...)