Fire Planning Facility

zacklaws

Hi Major

Having played Tacops now for a few months, which I find completly absorbing, I find that I am let down by not being able to create a good fireplan to support an attack. The only way around it is to lay my fire units onto the target, select ammo and number of salvo's, but when it comes to switch targets, I have to do it manually and so on.

Having been a fire controller for about 16 years, having the facility to knock up a timed or on call fire plan based on a H Hour would be the icing on the cake for me in Tacops. Is their any plans at all for the future in which this could be made possible. As we can bring airstrikes down on prerecorded and recorded targets and know the approximate timing of it to coordinate ground movement then am I presuming that it would be easy to creat a fire plan proforma menu to do a similar thing with arty and mortar units to fire serials on tgt's, with various ammo types, and change tgt's automatically to fire a new serial all based on a H Hour. Fire units should also be able to be withdrawn from the fire plan to engage an oportunity Tgt if one should arise and after end of mission resume the fire plan again if still running.

With a good fire plan in action, players can then concentrate on actual ground movement.

Regards

Zack Laws

If you mean a fire support barrage to arrive at a certain time at a certain place than there is a way to do that

you can choose an off map artybn and change the delay in the arty options menu.

i.e.you want a barrage of 155mm in 30 minutes at a given spot.

change the delay for the first rounds TOT to 30 minutes and place the arty marker on the map where you want that barrage to fall down

its not ideal but better than nothing

Henk

Major

Reference your last, I'll start a draft ASP, have to go to work now but that gives me a better chance to do some thing towards it during the quieter moments.

Briefly it would be very much like we have now, the columun headings at the top would read from left to right, Fire Unit, followed by Tgt No, Type of Ammo, No of Salvoes, Time from, and Time to. As we do not have rates of fire, the units would just fire salvos on that tgt during the timings. To represent a low rate a low number could be inputted for the number of salvos fired over that period ie 2 salvoes over a 2 minute period but for an objective during the assault a high figure could be inputted ie 4 salvoes or more over a minute. All but the heading "fire unit" would be repeated several times on the same line to allow that unit to alter Tgt No, Ammo type and fire a new serial, maybe even just a change of ammo ie switch from Smk to HE.

Reference timings there would be a box for H.Hour to be inputted, timings in other boxes then can be inputted as a minus number ( ie -5 )for before H. Hour or just a number (ie 5) for after H. Hour, 0 representing H.Hour.

Also an input box as to whether the fire plan is on call and not fired unless required or actually fired based on the timings.

Another input box would have the percentage of ammo to remain after the fire plan is fired as a reserve in case of a counter attack during the reorg period, future ops, etc.(30% was our planning figure)

Best regards

Zack Laws

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by MajorH:

If you want to augment your suggestion you could send me an art mockup of what you think the fire planning window should look like.

Major

Sorry for the delay, I've not forgotten about it, rather than just do a quick mockup, I have been putting as much thought about it as I can think off and looking at the problems and difficulties it could cause in creating and for users. I have also got my head in the pamphlets to look at the US way of fireplanning as opposed to the UK way that I know. (Not much real difference) I have thought about the use of sliders, but could be too complex. Overall I am still thinking on my original lines of keeping it very much similar to the artillery support box which we have now but just by adding some timing boxes and tgt No boxes and ending up with a simple format.

I have just bought myself a laptop and I can now play TACOPS at work, time at work certainly flys past now especially nightshifts. Best thing I have ever done.

Best Regards

Zack Laws

• 11 months later...