Mac/Voodoo 3 problem

I can't get the Gold demo to run on my current system:

G4 400/200, 224 MB

Voodoo 3/3000 with latest Mac drivers

(the G4 is an upgrade card in my beige G3 desktop)

Any suggestions?

And I WILL buy a new system if necessary; this is a GREAT game!

Guest hunt52

How is it misbehaving specifically? You may need to upgrade your system software or your sprockets...

- Bill

Let me specify:

The program launches and I can pick the scenario. I get the screen that says "3D graphics loading" and when the game actually starts, all I see is a black screen. I can hear sounds but nothing is visible.

Also, my card has 6 MB of VRAM.

Guest hunt52

You might try downloading the most current version of the game sprockets from the Apple site. The graphics card is a bit low end, but shouldn't be a show stopper...

- Bill

I would suggest deleting whatever "pref" file there is for CM (I guess it is in the System Folder - Preferences Folder; I don't know w/ System 9.x). You will possibly have to reduce your resolution; I'd try 640 x 480 first. Launch CM and see if you get the black screen with the resolution listed on it as CM starts. If this works then you can possibly increase your resolution to 832 x 624 (or whatever it is that the Voodoo3 supports).

If this doesn't work then you may have to remove/delete the control panels/extensions for your Voodoo card and install a fresh set.

If you do a search of earlier messages using 'Voodoo' as search key, I think you will find other reports of problems with Macs and Voodoo cards.

In response to one earlier post, BTS said (paraphrasing from memory here), when CM boots up it checks to see what kind of 3D hardware is available; if it detects Mac + Voodoo, it runs in software-rendering-only mode.

On my Mac/Voodoo 3 3000 system, this does not give the black screen problem you are having, but it does result in clunky graphics and slow animations. Not bad enough for me to not play the demo, but bad enough that I'll wait for a fix before buying the full game. (Other than this, I love the game.)

BTS has said they are looking into a fix. If memory serves, they attributed the problem to poorly written Voodoo drivers/APIs, hard to work with and thus not presently coded for by BTS.

I realize this does not solve your problem, but it does suggest BTS might provide a fix for your problem and mine at some point.

Lt. Kije

<QUOTE>Originally posted by Lt. Kije:

If you do a search of earlier messages using 'Voodoo' as search key, I think you will find other reports of problems with Macs and Voodoo cards.

In response to one earlier post, BTS said (paraphrasing from memory here), when CM boots up it checks to see what kind of 3D hardware is available; if it detects Mac + Voodoo, it runs in software-rendering-only mode.

On my Mac/Voodoo 3 3000 system, this does not give the black screen problem you are having, but it does result in clunky graphics and slow animations. Not bad enough for me to not play the demo, but bad enough that I'll wait for a fix before buying the full game. (Other than this, I love the game.)

BTS has said they are looking into a fix. If memory serves, they attributed the problem to poorly written Voodoo drivers/APIs, hard to work with and thus not presently coded for by BTS.

I realize this does not solve your problem, but it does suggest BTS might provide a fix for your problem and mine at some point.

Lt. Kije

<QUOTE>

(1) Voodoo 3 2000 without the RAVE drivers will give the software rendered chunky slow screen. This is what you will get if you disable the RAVE extensions in the extension folder located in the system folder. Or don't have them to begin with.

Use the extension manager in the control panel or an application like Conflict Catcher to do this.

(2)Voodoo 3 2000 with the RAVE drivers will give an almost completely black screen. The Voodoo 3 RAVE drivers are incomplete frown.gif. The new incomplete RAVE drivers are available at the 3DFX web site. Earlier versions of the drivers and the flash ROM files did not have any RAVE support.

Some here claim to have gotten the Voodoo 3 cards to work with ealier RAVE drivers. Try http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ for more information on Voodoo for the MacOS. If you get CM and RAVE working on a Voodoo 3 card, please let me know how you did it. I have not after hours of trying. Just in case you are curious, I got CM to 'work' on a second monitor that has an ATI 128 Xclaim card with functioning RAVE.(I am having an unrelated problem, that is why work is in quotes.)

I saw on Mac Gaming site that CM is going at some future time going to support OpenGL. This would solve the display problems. I have not seen that statement here. Steve, any truth to this?

Regards

PFord

[This message has been edited by pford (edited 06-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by pford (edited 06-02-2000).]

I had the "loading 3D graphics"-forever problem until I turned off the ATI graphics preferences, ATI 3D accelerator, ATI graphics manager, ATI graphics accelerator. I am using an iMac 333, MacOS 8.6 with 96 MB physical RAM. I still see 3D images while playing the CM gold-demo, presumably because I have QuickDraw 3D Rave operating. I hope that this info is of some help to the Mac people out there.

- Ken