Some questions & comments from a VERY satisfied gamer

rbutturini

Hi all,

I've been playing TacOps for about 3 months now and first off I want to thank everyone who helped develop this great simulation. Finding games with this combination of replay value, challenging AI, and multiplayer options are a true rarity in this day and time. Maybe if some of the "big" game companies spent more time developing a compotent AI opponent like TacOps has and less time on 3D explosions and surround sound, their games would be worth shelling out $60 for. I had a few questions and comments I hope maybe some other posters can shed some light on.

I've seen several posts on possible enhancements to the game elsewhere on the board, but I wanted to voice an opinion on some of them. I think a morale system would definitely be a welcome inclusion to the game. While I concede that accurately capturing the degradation of performance that low morale brings is difficult, I think it would be interesting to have some sort of factor to divide between the effect of assault on conscripts and extreme loyalists (e.g. Fedayeen, jihad fighters, etc.). Also, I would like to see more offensive scenarios, and more desert maps/scenarios, not to necessarily represent the Iraqi conflict where our troops continue to bravely serve amongst the dangers of near anarchy, but because the effect of desert terrain on units brings a whole new set of variables into the battle. Just some thoughts on some neat features that could go into the next version. Is there a release date on it yet?

Also, on an unrelated note, I am looking for good books on military strategy and tactics. It would be nice if I could get them at the library (I'm on the poor college student budget :) ). I recently finished "Strategy" by Hart and am ready to start Hackett's Third World War. If anybody has some suggestions on some good reads, I would appreciate it, especially if they could help out against the Soviet doctorine of the AI opponent in TacOps. I feel like I have a good grasp of the modern day equipment, but am still rough on effective tactical use of it.

Thanks in advance for all your comments,

Russell Butturini

For unit tactics relevant to the TacOps scale and scope, check out the TacOps library - either the files that came with your TacOps CD or the separate Military Reference Library. The FM 71 series covers tank and mechanized infantry operations in increasing detail. Other manuals cover things like fire support and engineer operations in more detail, but FM 71-1/2/3 provide all the basics. I'd recommend reviewing FM 71-2 for battalion task force operations first just to get a good appreciation for why TacOps is so good at what it does. The FM 100-60 series covers OPFOR operations, especially the old Soviet templates and norms that the TacOps AI simulates very well. (Learn how the AI "thinks" and then you can anticipate its actions to defeat it.) You really want to focus on battalion and brigade level operations, which are different than small unit tactics at the squad and platoon level or higher level operations and strategy above division level.

Here are some great books:

Any interactive study by John F. Antal (I believe there are 3 now)

Find "The Defense of Hill 781" by JR McDonough

and "The Art of Manuver" by R.Leonhard

....and I almost forgot, "First Clash: Combat close-up in WW3" by K. Macksey

these are all great modern combat books

[ June 17, 2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: pkpowers ]

....and I almost forgot, "First Clash: Combat close-up in WW3" by K. Macksey

Isn't this the book that was derived from a Canadian Army Field Manual?

I've thought it would be an interesting source of TacOps scenarios, although the unit scale may be a bit on the small side. Perhaps MajorH can talk the Canadian MoD into funding the development of scenarios based on the book?

It would be a neat package to have a descriptive training narrative accompanied by a simulation of the events in the book.

• 4 weeks later...