Q: 'schreck front turret penetration, but no kill?

Guest Big Time Software

One thing to keep in mind folks is that the penetration/damage capability of a Schreck, Bazooka, Panzerfaust, PIAT, or any hollow/shaped AT round is exactly the same no matter what the range. Therefore, do not expect any more or less damage depending on range, just that the closer you are the better chance of actually hitting what you are shooting at.

When you hit an enemy tank it might not appear to be damanged, but then again it might. Generally a crew member will be killed at the very least, which might not be noticable. A turret penetration has a very good chance of taking out the main gun.

Also keep in mind how many tens of thousands of shots we are talking about when we are collectively discussing issues like this. One thing that other games portray very poorly is the great range of possible outcomes to something like a hit on an armored vehicle. Our minds want to see an outright kill (provided it isn't our vehicle!!) each and every time an AT weapon is fired. But of course this is a totally unrealistic expectation. Even with the high tech stuff used in today's armies misses are still a fairly common fact of life. And back in WWII there were plenty of reasons for something not doing its job. Stuff like the round being defective, a dud, or simply hitting a part of the vehicle that for whatever reason isn't critical.

As for the behavior of Schreck teams, especially in Chance Encounter where several are crap, the delays are VERY intentional. Some of these guys are barely trained and not experienced. If you think that every solider armed with a weapon, and at least told how to use it, is now an unfeeling, robotic creature that only knows how to kill... you have a LOT to learn about human behavior.

The overriding human reaction is to not get killed. What is the best way to not get killed? By not drawing attention to oneself! And if someone thinks that firing a Panzerfaust or Panzerscheck makes you a popular guy with the enemy, how wrong you would be smile.gif AT teams needed to have nerves of steel because they knew that as soon as they fired their position would be revealed and that all sorts of enemy weapons would soon be firing upon their position. So the team would fire only when it was sure that it could score a hit. And since none of these weapons were very accurate, being sure meant waiting for conditions to improve.

The better the training, and the more experienced (in some cases) the more this fundamental urge can be overcome. But expecting crappy units to behave as if they had been touched by the hand of God (whichever god you choose smile.gif), or have robotic implants in their brains, is just silly in the extreme.

While testing VoT I had a single man Green Panzerscheck team, under fire, take out a Sherman tank at 100m+. It can be done and is realistic. But to *EXPECT* it to be done is totally unrealistic. Me thinks that the complaining I see every now and again is coming from the sore losers who don't want to admit that they have more to learn than their "expert" minds wish to admit wink.gif

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 06-10-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Me thinks that the complaining I see every now and again is coming from the sore losers who don't want to admit that they have more to learn than their "expert" minds wish to admit wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, my problem didn't exactly involve a cowardly schreck team... that I can deal with. It's the indecision that really peeved me, as if the schreck was trying to decide who to kill while a tank was directly in front of him... I've had a conscript schreck team under fire take out a moving Sherman at a pretty sizeable distance in CE, so I know that the randomness is there... but I can accept it. If EVERY time I walked a schreck team up to an unsuspecting tank and the anti-tank team did their job, it would take the "real-life" aspect out of the game wink.gif

And as far as being an expert, I know that comment wasn't directed at me... If there's one thing I've learned in life it's that you're RARELY an expert at anything. Proficient to the extreme perhaps, but not expert... I've got lots to learn about tactics... which is why I'm getting Rommel's book... smile.gif Anyways, I'm going to stop before I get to rambling...

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.