Indirect fire question

Why can't an M7 be used for indirect fire like the mortars? Why cant Platoon leaders call in arty? They were taught how to call in a strike using a map. Don't flame me though, and don't yell at me for not doing a search becasue I did and it didn't help much.

The time scale of this game prohibits indirect fire. Simply not enough time to set up for this.. Plus, there are minimum ranges to consider. I wasn't a 'cannon-cocker' but I do remember reading other posts on this. You can use these units in the direct fire role or use them to simulate a breakthrough into a rear area where they may have been providing fire missons..

I do agree that HQ units should be able to call in arty. The only way to do this is with on-board mortar units...as long as they don't move..

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Ok thanks, that all makes sense. But what about a 60mm mortar attached to a platoon. If its under the command of the Lt, and a squad is under the commad, cant a squad spot for the 60mm? So it would go from the squad to the Lt to the mortar? Or just from the squad to the mortar?

An on-board mortar can fire indirectly, provided it's "in command" by a platoon/company/battalion CO who has LOS to the target. A squad can't act as a spotter, even if it's "in command".

I don't know if any platoon CO will work with another platoon's mortar. Technically it should since mortars are teams and not squads (which won't follow other platoon COs)I always consolidate my mortars together under the Company CO rather than keep them with each platoon.

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ntg84:

Ok thanks, that all makes sense. But what about a 60mm mortar attached to a platoon. If its under the command of the Lt, and a squad is under the commad, cant a squad spot for the 60mm? So it would go from the squad to the Lt to the mortar? Or just from the squad to the mortar?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the HQ to the 60mm. But the mortar can't move and has to be in command .. The HQ has to have LOS to the target. YOu still target with the mortar (even if it is on a reverse slope or in cover). If it lets you place a strike line--you are good to go. See page 88 of the manual...

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Another question to consider ntg84 is if your HQ has organic mortars avaliable and gives the fire order will he fire his own small arms also, possibly revealing HIS position and suffering the inevetable counterfire as he IS a priority target! HQ's affect too many things to let them move about unmolested! Obviously it's best to keep them out of the front line but there are times when the tactical situation requires them to be in there with the troops!

------------------

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!

Airborne and all

All HQ units can "spot" for any mortar teams you have onboard. The mortar uses then indirekt area fire which is somewhat unprecise at least. However, it doesn't matter if the mortar unit has been moved before, this is only important if you want to fire a mortar unit at a TRP. To fire with onboard mortars at TRPs there isn't any need to be in command of a HQ unit or have LOS to the TRP, but the mortar team should not have been moved.

There is an excellent article written by Madmatt at the gamer's net ( sorry, but I'M still unable to post URLs) which explains the whole matter of indirekt onboard mortar fire very precisly.

Hope this helps

Schugger

[This message has been edited by Schugger (edited 08-25-2000).]