Pillboxes

Guest Madmatt

Let me answer this barrage of questions:

Yes thats the back

Yes thats barbed wire

Yes there are MG (variable amounts of machineguns) and various types of Anti-tank guns (88,75 etc...)

There are concrete and wooden bunkers

Wooden pillboxes can be taken out by most vehicle main guns and a lucky 'zook shot..

Concrete bunkers are MUCH tougher and can withstand much heavier ordinance. How much heavier? Well they have armor just like vehicles so you can get lucky and hit a weak spot and penetrate one with say a 75 but it isnt very likely. Not all penetrations result in a kill either, Bunkers take crew casulities and they can also get spooked and hightail it outa Dodge!

These things were meant to take a pounding and can absorb massive amounts of firepower sometimes, other times a lucky hit will take one right out. The one in the picture was taken out by an infantry close assault with grenades and demo charges.

Infantry vs. Bunkers (pillboxes) works just like the real world, sometimes ya gotta close with the enemy and get in his face. Infantry will use grenades and demo charges (thats what Engineers carry! BIG BOOMS!) to take out a pillbox. Grenades have a fair to low chance I would say and demo charges have a medium chance (just my take, not scientific at all and like everything in CM, success is based on a multitude of factors) The problem with close assaulting a bunker is getting to it. If you can get out of LOS of the firing ports (yes pillboxes DO have los and can't see everything) and around behind it you have a much better chance. Funny how much easier things are when you aren't being fired on. BTW if anybody wants to know if MG grazing fire is in the release? YES!!! and it hurts...alot..You bunch up your troops, you are going to get hurt....over and over!

Ok so get behind the bunker, pray to whatever God accepts your money and hope that your units dont break. Problem is bunkers usually come in groups and they have this nasty habit of covering each other or laying antipersonal mines and barbed wire on their flanks. They are tough and joint antitank and MG pillbox can just plain ruin your day...But then you will experience this first hand... wink.gif

Expect a full feature on defensive positions and tactics in the weeks to come on CMHQ!

Madmatt out cool.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 01-24-2000).]

Guest Capt_Manieri

I love pillboxes.....if pillboxes were girls, I'd date them........

uhhhh.....

(Capt Manieri going back into the closet)

Guest Madmatt

Well you don't date pillboxes but its nice when the women you DO date have PILLBOXES! As in the kind of pill they take once a day...All month long....Regulary, otherwise you may wind up with some unexpected (and expensive) reinforcements! wink.gif

Madmatt out cool.gif

Dodging that bullet for over 30 years!!! eek.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 01-24-2000).]

With regard to Madmatts last post:

For those new to the subject: be warned that when your girlfriend/wife has diarrhea, the "pill" is worth a sh.. frown.gif ! Happened to a friend of mine who is now in a very difficult situation !

So much for off-topic posts rolleyes.gif !

Regards,

Thomm