game RAM requirements

is this a 'q' for charles? i was playing the demo last night. on exit i went into another game (grand Prix Legends if it matters) anyway everything seemed normal until i pressed <ESC> in GPL to re-enter the pits and instead of that, got a black screen and windows hourglass cursor, till i was finally forced to reboot.

so the 'q' is: is this only a beta occurance? a rare one if not? will i need to reboot before changing programs? YES I WILL ON OCCAISION play something other than the demo (not sure about the full release), maybe if you sent me a full release i could report back to you smile.gif

does CM use alot of RAM? i have win98 on a P3-500 with 256mgB

Guest phoenix

You've got a serious machine there!!

My "outdated" PII 450 with 128 MB has no problems swapping between programs and games. Never had CM hang up one time, nor has anything else hung up after I exited CM and started something else.

[This message has been edited by phoenix (edited 01-12-2000).]

Make a file called memory.vbs and insert the line "Mystring = Space(80000000)" into it. Put it onto your desktop and close as many progs as possible double click it and you'll never have to reboot winblows to clear your RAM again (just click every time you're running out of mem). You can of course experiment with the numbers to find YOUR perfect settings. To monitor your RAM I recommend downloading a neat little prog called Cacheman.

Guest Madmatt

Umm I think perhaps he meant the program FREEMEM, as Cacheman is used to set Vcache settings. Either way they are both wonderful prgrams that can improve performance of Windows based systems...

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

Guest Madmatt

The thing which make FreeMem better to use it that it does what your little VBS file does but with a much better level of customization . It allows you set a variety of Memory settings and with a click Freemem will try and 'FREE UP' that much, by defragging blocks of continguis memory and reallocating into logical blocks your system can have that just booted feel easily. You can also set Freemem from passive to active mode in which it will automatically defrag memory when it gets down to a set level. It's a great little program and itself uses next no resources, but its just one of about 1000 tweaks that I have on my system. smile.gif

Cacheman is also an excellant program and I used it to set my optimum Vcache (setting which CAN reduce harddrive 'thrashing' and inprove framerate in some FPS) but in a game like CM you won't notice much impact messing with Vcache...All in all two programs that should find a home on your harddrive.

Madmatt...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 01-12-2000).]