Mac users - read this NOW!!

I noticed that the sounds in CM (besides rain, fire, engine noises and such) seemed to be very muffled. I'd be deafened by a burning vehicle whereas a 105mm bombardment was a mere whisper. So I got onto Charles (y'know, saviour of the human race, master of the universe - that Charles).

The Mac version of CM uses Apple's Soundsprocket. Charles, being the godlike deity that he is, after determining that I was using version 1.7.1 (the newest version), suggested that this was f***ed (but not in so many words) =) and that I'd be better off with version 1.0.

The result? FREAKING AWESOME.

So if you're on a Mac, go into your Extensions folder (in the System Folder), and look for these two items:

SoundSprocket Filter

SoundSprocketLib

Check what version they are (click on them and press Command-I). As far as I'm aware, only versions 1.0 and 1.7.1 exist. If you have the latter, you may now start quaking with apprehension at the joy which is about to flood into your life.

Go to:

http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11167

...and download GameSprockets 1.5. Mount the disc image and open the "SoundSprocket 1.0" folder therein. Remove the two aforementioned items from your Extensions folder (keep them safe!), and replace them with their older versions.

Now restart your machine, fire up CM and brace yourself! =)

David

***** Webpage has gone *****

File still on FTP site, though.

GameSprockets_1.5.smi.bin

[This message has been edited by David Aitken (edited 08-31-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

I'm covered with the extensions, but one thing I've noticed and I wonder if there is a cure, if artillery shells or some other noisy action is taking place during a playback, and at the same time some infantry fire their weapons, I can't hear the infantry. Any body have any ideas?

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 08-02-2000).]

Ben Galanti wrote:

> Another option is to put those two 1.0 version files into the same folder as the CM application.

Is this a suggestion or a fact? It doesn't work as far as I can figure (I tried). SoundSprocket is part of the System, so the System will use whatever version is in the Extensions folder.

Anyway, it's SoundSprocket that's buggered here, not CM, so I'm not sure you'd want to use 1.7.1 for anything.

David

Michael emrys wrote:

> if artillery shells or some other noisy action is taking place during a playback, and at the same time some infantry fire their weapons, I can't hear the infantry.

This is either a volume issue or a channels issue. Either the arty noise drowns out the gunfire, or there aren't enough sound channels for the gunfire and it doesn't play at all. Is it really a problem? Is it unrealistic?

David

Michael:

David's right, it's a sound channel issue. There are a limited amount of sound channels. So, CM plays as many sounds as it can, but when it starts running out of channels when things are getting busy, it picks and chooses which sounds to play.

David:

I assumed sound sprocket was like the other sprockets, which are in fact shared librarys mmasquerading as extensions. If I remember right, the shared library manager will search the applications directory first when it goes out looking for shared librarys, and only if it doesn't find it there will it go to the extension folder. I know that's how it is for Draw Sprocket...

Now, it's a pretty safe assumption that SoundSprocketLib is a shared library, perhaps SoundSprocket Filter is a real extension though... I have to admit I didn't particularly hear a difference with the 1.0 versions over the 1.7.1 versions no matter if I put them in the extension folder or the application folder. I didn't do a reboot after putting them in. If one of those files really is an extension then a reboot would be necessary. I'll try that again later... If yours worked without a reboot, then they aren't really extensions, and as such should work (to my understanding) in the CM folder.

I rebooted as a matter of principle (and I did say "now restart your machine" in my instructions). =) I more or less assumed them to be libraries, but it's best to reboot to make sure. And from your and my evidence, it would seem that SoundSprocket Filter is indeed an extension.

David

I tried it back and forth between the

1.0 versions and the 1.7.1 versions

using the same exact senario and settings

4 or 5 times

the sound of the 1.0 version

was so much louder/clearer

my wife complained it was too loud !!!

I hate when newer versions are a step back

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Michael emrys wrote:

> if artillery shells or some other noisy action is taking place during a playback, and at the same time some infantry fire their weapons, I can't hear the infantry.

This is either a volume issue or a channels issue. Either the arty noise drowns out the gunfire, or there aren't enough sound channels for the gunfire and it doesn't play at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess is the latter, but I don't know enough about the subject to say for sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is it really a problem? Is it unrealistic?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it's not a showstopper, but it is unrealistic in the sense that normally the closer you move the camera location to a sound source, the greater the volume of the sound. The phenomenon I am describing completely negates that. Even distant explosions drown out nearby gunfire, even though the explosions may not be all that loud. What I'm trying to say is that it is the *type* of fire that is being prioritized, not its intrinsic volume.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ben Galanti:

Michael:

David's right, it's a sound channel issue. There are a limited amount of sound channels. So, CM plays as many sounds as it can, but when it starts running out of channels when things are getting busy, it picks and chooses which sounds to play.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Ben. That perfectly confirms my hunch.

BTW, does anybody know if adding an sound card would increase the number of channels available; and are sound cards made for the Mac? I know Mac has always had built-in audio, but it seems not always up to the standard of some of the more muscular sound cards for the PC.

Michael

I think there are professional sound cards available, but not a whole lot of consumer cards, yet...

Creative Labs has said that they are writing drivers for their Sound Blaster cards so that they'll work on Macs. They should be released in the not too distant future (by Christmas at the latest, from what last I read) That would definitely help CM (and other games as well)

Guest Michael emrys

Thanks again, Ben. Though not a high priority, it's one more thing to go on my list. I'm not really after volume (I play with it soft anyway; I live in an apartment and like to get along with my neighbors, plus I have abused my own hearing enough already). But clarity and presence are desirable.

Michael

Guest Big Time Software

There is no fixed limit on sound channels, but CM only uses a certain number depending on how fast your computer is. Otherwise your frame rate would drop to unacceptably low levels as the CPU gets bogged down processing too much sound.

Charles

Guest Pillar

I'd like to hear the sound of the fire volume reduced on the PC as well. It's rather overbearing and unrealistic as a result.

Michael -

I don't think you need a sound card unless you want true 3D sound. SoundSprocket does a pretty good job of 3D sound as long as you have stereo speakers. This is one big difference I noticed when I switched back to version 1.0 - I was actually able to pinpoint an enemy gun just by listening to the sound.

A sound card won't increase the channels - as Charles says, you'll get all the channels you want provided your machine is fast enough. So I would say the ideal setup is a fast machine and good stereo speakers. 3D sound would be nice, but a lot of people don't have speakers at all, so it seems a bit ambitious. However, if you have a G4/500 dual-processor with an Apple Cinema Display and a gigabyte of RAM, a 3D sound system might be the next step!

David

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Michael -

A sound card won't increase the channels - as Charles says, you'll get all the channels you want provided your machine is fast enough.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, but what I'm wondering now is whether a sound card would take some of the load off the processor, the same way a video card can.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>However, if you have a G4/500 dual-processor with an Apple Cinema Display and a gigabyte of RAM, a 3D sound system might be the next step!

David<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not...just...yet. I'm still waiting for the royalties to start rolling in on my **** Happens™ trademark. biggrin.gif

Michael