Why sniper can't attack a halftrack?

In one game I my "crack" sniper sneaked just behind a german halftrack. The halftrack stayed in the same position for two turns, but I couldn't get my sniper to attack it. Couldn't the sniper just climb into it and shoot the drivers? smile.gif

He could attack it if it were unbuttoned (if the gunner were standing up). He's not likely to do this at point-blank range, however - snipers prefer to attack from a distance, for obvious reasons. They will not close-assault - they don't carry grenades, and a bolt-action rifle isn't the best assault weapon.

David

I had the same problem in my last game - then I noticed that my sharpshooter's ammo was way low so he was at the point that he'd normally only fire in self defense. Sharpshooters get very little ammo.

The sniper had at least 5 rounds (he got only 10 in the beginning), and the halftrack was unbuttoned, at least the men were clearly visible.

After two turns the halftrack started to reverse, when the sniper just dodged. Eventually the sniper got killed.

If I had to guess (and apparently I must or I wouldn't be posting) I would look to the experience level of the sniper. I had a Volksturm (sp?) sniper who was ordered to move toward and fire at an Ami MG team. He started that way, apparently had second thoughts, turned around and went back to his foxhole. smile.gif

OTOH, I've had some success nailing TC's and exposed HT gunners. Remember that the gunner on a HT may LOOK exposed but the HT can still be considered "Buttoned". The key is to look at the info for the HT and see what it says about the buttoned status. I'm not certain, but a HT gunner may have to be "unbuttoned" in order to fire. I'm at work and can't check on that right now.

Joe

In CM sharpshooters are modeled as a limited, cautious weapon. They are quirky and "non-hollywood" to the maximum.

They seem only to shoot at high reward targets: HQ units, MGs, Artillery Spotters etc.... and only when they have a "great shot" with little chance of detection or retaliation.

Can't help you on the halftrack question? The sharpshooter may have deduced his risk/reward wasn't advantageous:

"if I shot that HT, then those 2 squads and that tank might open up on me..."

Hope that helps, Stoner

"In CM sharpshooters are modeled as a limited, cautious weapon."

That would be my gut feeling, too.

'I am a carefully trained, elite assassin,' says the sharpshooter. 'I am hidden death from long range. I am... not about to expose my valuable self by assaulting that armored death-trap!' As I see it, it's like an F-117 compared to an F-15 - each have their uses, but don't try to switch their roles. IMHO.