Laying Line

The thread on Infantry Guns got me thinking a bit more about the usage of both IGs and mortars. As it stands now indirect fire from on board mortars can be directed at a TRP or at a target in view of an HQ unit that is "commanding" the mortar. (Yes I state the obvious well). After much disscussion with some "old boys" who were in mortars during the war, it became clear that the weapons were controled by land line, 90% of the time. Rarely did they use wireless and just as rarely direct fire. My idea is that in the deployment phase, an HQ unit in command of the mortars may establish a land line link to a concentration of mortars. This would be a selection in the drop down menu, which, after it was selected would allow a "command" line to be drawn to the concentration of mortars. The distance could be limited to a tactical 200-300m (maximum). This would accuratly simulate the running of a telephone line back from the OP to the mortars. Once the OP or mortars moved, the link would be broken in much the same way as the current TRP capability is now. Very simple, the HQ unit would simply have a Command line back to the mortars as though they were ordinarily in command but this line would not change from HQ to HQ depending on which was closer as it does now. Again, not complicated, easily executed and the capabilities of the weapons reach that much closer to reality.

Thanks

Rob Deans

Anything that adds a bit more authenticity is great smile.gif

BTS might have good reasons for CM being like it is now. For them, they may have spent all their time in positions like that, but organicy type mortars may have found themselves needing to be more mobile?

For defensive battles makes a lot of sense tho

PeterNZ

Since the sub-routine coding is already done for on map mortars, adding the IF ability to IGs (giving them the same game status as mortars) will be easy.

More programming will be needed if IGs are to be purcheased in battery increments, with one HQ per battery and only that HQ being able to act as spotter for the battery.

Phone lines would be a nice add on, but probably require lots of new programming to implement...

Cheers

Olle

How long would it take them to run a phone line through a battlefield from an HQ to a mortar 50, 100, 200 meters away? I'm willing to be it takes quite some time, putting it beyond the scope of CM.

Also, what happens if the HQ or the mortars have to move? Either you lose the link, or use up that much more time moving all those telephones etc etc.

DjB

Having been a Wireman and a Lineman in the US Army, I can tell you that running a commo line really doesn't take all that much time. A new run of a few hundred meters would take only a few action phases. Unless the Engineers, with their heavy equipment, are about. mad.gif

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop