A little story on why CM is worth every penny.

Ok,

This is going to be brief, as I want to get back to the game, but already the game is proving to be fantastic.

It's late in the war. My poor Germans are defending some little town. We have a couple of SPA's, a smattering of MG42's, some AT guns and some infantry. One group of infantry, 2 squads and a panzershreck team, are hidden in a bunch of trees a few hundred yards outside of town, all alone.

Well, here come the Americans. Tanks everywhere, pouring over the landscape. We do some damage, taking out a couple of half-tracks, a and a sherman before we lose the AT guns and the Self propelled artillery. Having cleared us of our big guns, the Americans start advancing ahead quickly, to clean up. Our guys in the wood huddle down, and pick a spot near the edge for an ambush, hoping some cocky American tank will ride on by. Sure enough, here comes an M8 greyhound, zooming right into our ambush spot. The two squads rise up at the same time, and blow the Greyhound straight to hades. That sure gets the Americans' attention, and the poor guys go down in a flurry of gunfire from all sides. Mr. Panzershreck gets off a couple of shots before he too, is blown up.

Sure, we lost our backsides in that fight. Call it a learning experience. That ambush was a sight to see, tho. Wonderful game. I am already happy I ordered it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Major B:

Ok,

Sure, we lost our backsides in that fight. Call it a learning experience. That ambush was a sight to see, tho. Wonderful game. I am already happy I ordered it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't even got it yet, and I'm glad I ordered it! The two demos are great, and if there were more scenarios (even without all the tweaks, improved graphics, etc) it would be great. It sure beats pushing little 3/8" counters around and pretending you don't know what's under the question mark and trying to sort out LOS disputes.

Guest MantaRay

I think i know that scenario too. I actually got a Sherman in that ambush, but lets just say that the white stuff was just a bit red after those pissed Americans got through with them!!!

Well now on to round 3 of a very tough Operation involving Mr Wittman. smile.gif

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Yes Manta Ray....the Wittman Operation is excellent and a lot of fun. Not exactly a walk in the park is it? ;)

Do you recall where it was downloaded from? It should be posted here with a recommendation and credit to the author.

Ghost

Not a spoiler....

sort of

but can some one tell me the name of the operation that features Mr. Wittman ?

Thanks

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>can some one tell me the name of the operation that features Mr. Wittman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Operation you are referring to is called Villers-Bocage. It is an excellent Op designed by Los. He did an outstanding job in capturing the feeling of that day.

Bil

I have not got the game but from Ray's screenshot, I read about this Ops. Double excitement. I have placed 2 different scenarioes about this encounter during the day of Steel Panthers.

Really can't wait....

Griffin excited.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Guest smbutler

Here's another reason why this game RULES!

You remember the scene in A Bridge Too Far when the Irish Guards tried to punch a hole in that treeline defended by AT guns and

Wermacht infantry? Well, that's my favorite part of the movie, and I've tried to recreate

this scene with three diffrent games--Steel Panthers, West Front, and Panzer Commander (oh, the $ I've seen vanish). Now, each of these games has its strong points, but none of my recreations did justice to the scene from ABTF.

Last night I threw together a miniture version of this scene on CM.

Everything was there: An arty barrage of 25's shook the treeline, dirt and dust filled the air. My shermans with their black- bereted troopers grumbled slowly forward, their turrets calmly turning to aim at a muzzel flash in the trees. Ping, one Sherman shudders and halts, another takes aim at the culprit, ping, out goes that one too...The artyfire is adjusted and smoke blankets the treeline, and the next troop moves past the wreckage towards the woods... In short, the whole thing was just AWESOME!

BTS, your game is BETTER than the MOVIES!

[This message has been edited by smbutler (edited 06-21-2000).]