LIVE FROM GERMANY ITS MADMATT!!!!!! Köln REPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Madmatt

Hi Madmatt,

Just to know what about my last Panther A textures I've sent to TGN....just kidding smile.gif...I'll track you down and annoy you all over the world !! smile.gif

I see you've crossed my border, you was 50km from my house in Belgium. If you come back don't miss the La Gleize King Tiger and the Ardenne 1944 Museum next to the tank ( in the house of Peiper HQ last stand)it's really worth the look (Bastogne museum is worth too). La Gleize is 10Km N-W to Trois-Ponts, Stavelot. The museum of La Roche is very nice too (battle between the SS and Canadians)And don't miss our Belgian beers : Orval trappist, Maredsous and the Liège province traditional course: meatballs with "Rabbit Sauce" (meatballs cooked with onions, beer and apple/pear syrup = jäger sauce in germany )

Have a great journey on the Old Continent!

Stephane Galambos

PS: it's told the King Tiger in La Gleize was saved from the US army blowtorch by a woman of the village who got the tank for a bottle of Cognac...perhaps you have a chance to buy it back Matt smile.gif

The King Tiger was restored in the 60's but if you glance at the muzzle brake you'll notice it was fitted/restored with a 75mm and not a 88mm.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 08-11-2000).]

Completely Off-Topic, but as a german I feel I should give a short answer, to what Minnesota Joe wrote.

>Yes the Germans and the Austrians are >ashamed of what their ancestors did, but is >forgeting about really the beat think to do?

No it's definitely not. And most of us don't try to forget, we try to remember it. The only thing to prevent such terrible things from happening again is to remember them.

>The people there either dont know or dont >want to talk about it.

Yes, there are people, who don't want to talk about it. There are even people, who try to forestall exhibitions, discussions and such. I remember a touring exhibition called "Verbrechen der Wehrmacht" (Crimes of the Wehrmacht). Someone laid a bomb in one of the builings in one location.

But most of us are pretty aware, what was going on 33 - 45. And yes, we are ashamed of it.

OK, back to non-political mode and back to the game. After all, this is the CM forum.

Hey Matt, glad to hear you like it in germany. Have fun! Yes, it's possible to have fun in germany. Believe it or not. smile.gif

Patric

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Android wrote ...

There are even people, who try to forestall exhibitions, discussions and such. I remember a touring exhibition called "Verbrechen der Wehrmacht" (Crimes of the Wehrmacht). Someone laid a bomb in one of the builings in one location.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC that exhibition consisted largely of faked photos (although there were some original images too), and that is something i personally don't like...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Minnesota Joe wrote ...

Yes the Germans and the Austrians are ashamed of what their ancestors did, but is forgeting about really the beat think to do? Iknow that this is way off subject (Hi Matt, have fun!) but you can expect this kind of thing when you travel to Germany. The people there either dont know or dont want to talk about it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is another point... I personally didn't participate in this war (born 1977) and so, I am somewhat anoyed when i hear it was our fault and that we should knee in the ashes for all time therefore....

I'm surely none of the folks that want to deny the sheere existence of holocaust... but I don't feel even a small bit of responsibility for it....

and, Minnesota Joe, I didn't hear the Americans speaking much of the cruelties they have committed to the native inhabitants of america... I guess quite some Genocide was commited there too... so..as a saying goes here in Austria "Jeder kehre vor seiner eigenen Tür" (everybody should clean his own doorstep first)

------------------

TargetDrone cool.gif

who has a heart for smilies

and will defend their rights ....

even if the cost is bloody....

[edited for errors and some reformating...]

[This message has been edited by TargetDrone (edited 08-10-2000).]

Ok, first off, please leave the politics out of this thread. It wasn't intended to be used that way! (getting into the holocaust topic is a sure way to get this locked down sooner or later.)

Madmatt BEWARE! If you are by chance in the Sinsheim Museum today then it could be that we meet in person.

wink.gif

------------------

visit lindan.panzershark.com

member of the Combat Mision webring

Guest Madmatt

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments guys!

I am now home though and my wonderful tour of Germany and adjacent countries is now just a very happy memory.

We took about 9 rolls of film and would have had tons more if the damn Media Mart store would have had their digital cameras in stock! I tried on 3 different days to buy this cool camera but was thwarted each time...

I am stil catching up on email and site stuff so give me a day or so to get back up t o speed and then I should have some great new stuff. I got a ton of new Mods in my mailbox and MDMP-2 is bursting at the seams too.

All in all this well be remembered as my best vacation ever but it's still good to be home.

Madmatt

p.s. And Charles, I never said anything about the Hotchkiss, but now that you mention it, I do think it SUCKS! biggrin.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 08-12-2000).]