sound contacts

i'm still very new to CM. could someone explain "sound contacts". by the way, i've retired all my talonsoft wargames to the garage to make room for my "one and only". the wait is killing me.

Sound contacts are just that...imagine your lying face down in a clump of trees, muddy and scared out of your wits!...you hear the sound of a tank coming towards you in the distance. You don't know what sort of tank it is and you can't see it, but you sure can hear it.

You can attempt to target a sound contact, but more often than not your PBEM opponent will ask on the next turn: "What are you shooting at open ground for?"

Yes, this is from personal experience.

------------------

We are both men of action. Lies do not become us. — Westley

Yep...i have 15 other games (mostly wargames) on my pc...and i haven't played any of them for months...i originally found out about the game via a wargamers newsgroup and i haven't touch anything else since.

Are there any units better at accuracy with sounds contacts.. i.e. green vs. veteran? Has anyone had any luck at all with targeting sound contacts? I know the game is high speed but does the terrain effect these (like bouncing off hills or building?) Lots of questions and no answers.

------------------

Jimmy 4 Eyes

Do not target sound contacts - it's a complete waste of ammo. Sound contacts appear on the map in a very general direction of where the sound comes from. Although you might see them on the map, they are most likely NOT where you see them.

Targeting sound contacts is a big waste of time and ammo and just exposes your guys position. Generally speaking, in the experiments I've done, the actual unit is a good 20-40m away from the sound contact icon you actually see when the contact is made.

The only exception to this that I can think of, and G4A mentioned above, is if you were expecting a massive assault from your enemy and at the end of a turn you saw several sound contacts grouped in a certain area. In that case if you had some mortars w/ LOS to this area (probably w/ lot's of extra rounds to "waste") you might want to just start dumping area fire (i.e. don't directly target the sound contact, although I don't think it will let you do this anyway) in order to start breaking up the attack, cause some casualties, etc. I usually target these area fires about 10-20m in front of where I "see" any kind of enemy unit as they will often be moving forward during the next turn and can actually move past your targeted area with little damage.

Also, larger caliber / spotted artillery use in such cases probably won't do you much good as the reaction time for the shells to start coming in at the target point takes too long.

Mikester out.

[This message has been edited by Mikester (edited 06-01-2000).]

Guest grunto

Has anyone thought of taking a half-squad and putting it in a clump of trees somewhere far away from the rest of the force, then having it move back and forth a tiny bit on fast in order to try to make noise?

Andy

Guest Scott Clinton

Just wait until we get night fighting and full fog /rain/snow weather effects...

smile.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.