Ammo for MG bug in 1.04

Was just playing Parker's Crossing (user created scenario) when I noticed my HMG-1917 had about 65 thousand rounds of ammo. While I'll need all the help I can get against the Germans... I'm just picturing this guy with his HMG in the second floor of a house. The bottom floor is filled with ammo. The ammo seems to be deducted correctally when he fires.

I'm guessing a unsigned short has wrapped around... but you've probably already figured that out Charles.

I have a save file if that would help.

--Chris

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maastrictian:

Was just playing Parker's Crossing (user created scenario) when I noticed my HMG-1917 had about 65 thousand rounds of ammo. While I'll need all the help I can get against the Germans... I'm just picturing this guy with his HMG in the second floor of a house. The bottom floor is filled with ammo. The ammo seems to be deducted correctally when he fires.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm trying to figure this one out. Could this have sneaked in as a consequence of the tweak that now counts each *round* of off-board artillery?

If the program is now tracking MG ammo expenditure by the round, 65,000 for an emplaced MG does not sound exhorbitant.

Maastrician, when you say "The ammo seems to be deducted correctly when he fires," do you mean that one number is deducted for every round that he fires, or for every burst?

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 08-19-2000).]

Every time a little yellow burst leaves the gun a unit of ammo is deducted. Even if it is counting actual rounds, 65000 is pretty rediculous. If it fires a 10 round burst each shot that's 6500 shots? And I revise what I said above. It does start the scenario that way. I also see it in the Red Devils Op with the Vickers.

--Chris

Guest Michael emrys

I take your point, Chris. When I posted my question I was operating under the influence of something I read a week or so back about some tests the Royal Army ran between the wars. Seems they set one up and fired it continuously (that's what the man said) for several hours. Ran through something like 1.5 million rounds. That must have been one hell of a long belt...

Michael

Guest Madmatt

ok, guys I am checking this but I need more info. Were these games started in 1.03 and then loaded into 1.04 and THATS when you saw the huge ammo ammounts?

OR

Where these games loaded from 1.04 at the start and had the ammo problems?

If its the first then you have run into one of the reasons we dont recommend 'upgrading' exisiting games in progress to 1.04.

If its the later then please let me know ASAP as I testing this right now.

Thanks!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

This is inconclusive - it seems to be map-specific.

British Vickers in All Or Nothing has problem.

American MGs in Riesberg don't.

German MG42's in Last Defence don't.

Hope this helps.

David

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh good catch. Yup, All or Nothing...65,410 rds.

Yikes.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

But can the men run with all that ammo?

Jason<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on what they had for dinner the night before. wink.gif

Michael

Guest Madmatt

Yup, I have verified that this occurs in some other scenarios too. Charles is aware of it.

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Hmm. Interesting. It appears as though this MG bug has, in fact, come into being with the realease of the 1.04 patch.

I have just gone back and examined all of my custom-built scenarios. What I found was that the M1917 HMG was NOT affected at all. However, all of the "independently purchased" MG42's in a single scenario showed 65422 rounds. (Note: this happened to be the only scenario where the MG42 was given "maximum" ammo allocation during design. Could this possibly be a contributing factor to the problem?)

In testing other scenarios, I've found that this problem tends to be random (with regards to the M1917, Vickers, MG42 and even some light artillery/flak) and that it doesn't seem to matter whether the scenario was "created" with 1.04 or an earlier version. I can only speculate that 1.04 must, therefore, be the culprit. Your guess is as good as mine, but I would like to see this little annoyance remedied.

Thanks again for the superior product support, BTS.

[This message has been edited by Scepter (edited 08-20-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

It happens to any MG unit which had more than 127 ammo specified from an earlier scenario.

Charles has already looked into it.

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex