FIGHTER PLANES..........where are they????

I have played nearly all the scenarios/campaign battles...... and not once has a fighter plane appeared.....

I heard one in the WITTMAN game but not strafing attack was made....

It has gotten to the piont where I am almost willing the American planes to come and BOMB me as I wan to see what its like......

JABOS where are you???

any ideas......at least 1 should have appeared by now.....THEORETICALLY...

I'm currently playing a game where on turn three a distinctive 'buzzzzzz' was hear.. definately plane-y smile.gif

However, by turn 4, it had gone!

I was teasing my opponent too! "Ahha! Soon the mighty USAF will strike down your Stug, mwuahaha".. and the bastard buggers off?! Is that right? ... arg! Will he come back?!

What a waste of points redface.gif

PeterNZ

The arrival of aircraft is frustratingly random, but I tend to think its pretty realistic too.

Consider that 'buying' a fighter bomber isn't the equivalent of slating an air attack in your area - treat it more like planes are nearby and may assist.

I've been robbed of fighters myself, but if they DO arrive they can create some great screaming carnage.

GAFF

Peter - I was beginning to think you were just faking me out wink.gif

I think the randomness factor really hits you in QBs like we're playing. On relatively small QB maps it seems to me battles are often decided in the first 10 turns or so, but with the default 30 turn limit who's to say the fighter-bomber won't show up until later?

I don't know how if this is modelled, but perhaps your fighter-bomber made it's first pass as you described, and is now circling around to strike? That takes awhile... and since each turn is only a minute you may yet see it again.

------------------

"You know our standing orders. Out of ammo become a bunker, out of commission become a pillbox, out of time... become heroes." - The Beast

[This message has been edited by Daveman (edited 08-30-2000).]

THat is one thing I dislike about FB. If they show up, they can be decisive, but if they do not, you wasted a LOT of points.

I understand the idea behind making it pretty random, but I think it makes for an effect on play balance that is just too large. I would rather they be a little more consistent, in return for a little more expensive. Not because I think that is the most realistic solution, but because I think it makes for a better game.

Lets be honest. When it comes to OOB for a QB, balanced game play is more important than realism in your ability to count on airpower. Otherwise, we should all be playing US assault versus German weak defenses 90% of the time...

Jeff Heidman

I was working on a battle where there was air support. The first time it came in you could here the aa of the defenders going off and then a large explosion sound a little while latter. I surrendered so i could look at the computer side to see where they attacked and what happened. The fighter dropped 2 bombs no dirct hits but 4 or five shocked vehicles. I then went back a turn and ran the next turn again several times. The Jabo's came in almost everytime and the results ranged from massive destruction to just buttoning up some vehicles. I guess it is just a roll of the dice as what to expect.

------------------

Teutonicc