CM2 Scale

I just wanted to elicit some responses about what the folks on this board thought about scale issues in the Russian Front incarnation of the game. Because this was a problem for me in CC3, I would like to know what you guys think an ideal max map size and unit sizes would be? Anyone?

CM2 will be a far cry from CC3's limitations of 15 units per side and a small, fixed map. Programming of the TacAI (and other AIs) to handle the East Front is one of the details BTS is going to look at for CM2. Simulating the command and control limitations the Soviets had will be one factor that will have an interesting impact on the flavor of the game (if such a feature is implemented).

Ideal "max" map size is very subjective. To simulate historical advantages the terrain of engagement would probably dictate the size. This is where German optics and high muzzle velocities really shine with the long engagement ranges that were possible over open terrain like the steppes of Russia. Otherwise I would assume it would very much be like CMBO - whatever the player is comfortable with in terms of maneuver or the number of units to control.

Yep, engagement ranges were far greater on the Russian Steppes than on the Western Front and the terrain, depending on which part of Russia you're fighting in, a lot less cluttered.

My guess is that the average map size in CM2 would be something nearer to large map size in CM1 (and if so, makes you wonder what large map sizes in CM2 will be like)!

Mace