Return to the GOOD STUFF!!!! Monday Night Update On CMHQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Madmatt

Yes, What better way to enjoy Combat Mission than reading one of Fionn Kelly's little tales of a royal wuss slap!?!

Even though Fionn may be gone from the Forum he is still in our hearts and minds and for me if he continues to be a constant pain in the ass! wink.gif

But give the boy credit, he can play the game and he unleashes some hellatious smack down on his enemy in this newest AAR.

This AAR has Fionn assualting across a realativly open terrain and there are lessons galore to be learned within for all of us.

Since I don't believe it's possible to post an update without a Mod anymore I decided to stick in a really cool one. This one replaces the default face textures with some reworked 3D style faces. The effect is VERY COOL and certianly worth a closer look.

Check it all out!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 09-11-2000).]

No. It's been fixed.

Grrrr...And don't ever doubt me again Major Tom! mad.gif <- thats my "grrr" smiley, see he is all mad!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest Rollstoy

While the report is certainly interesting I think that the term "Sperrbrecher" is restricted to naval application. I have actually never heard this word in connection with land warfare. If I am correct then something with "Sturm-" in the beginning would be more appropriate for assault elements.

Regards, Thomm

P.S.: This post was edited to remove a sentence which was considered offensive against my intent!

[This message has been edited by Rollstoy (edited 09-13-2000).]

Guest Rollstoy

On behalf of Fionn I post the following clarification:

Sperrbrecher is simply the German word for "Barrier Breaker".. It is NOT confined to naval terminology as the Tiger was often termed a "----brecher"... where the gap in front of brecher would be either "fortification, frontline, barrier" etc.

In fact the Tiger was originally termed a "Durchbruchswagen" (breakthrough tank)... All I did was use an equivalent term to denote its "barrier-breaking" ability where the barrier was the enemy MLR AS I have seen done in many German combat reports...

This is the equivalent of saying you "swept an area for mines".. By your logic this could ONLY be a sea area since it is most commonly used this way but this simply isn't so ... Words do NOT only have one fixed meaning and one context within which they can be used.

Simply because you haven't heard a word used in connection with land warfare does NOT make it incorrect to use it there. [...] I could similarly talk about "bracketting" the enemy between two infantry companies... That word is NORMALLY used for indirect fire but it is also quite acceptable to convey the idea that the enemy was in the middle of two friendly units.

The word Sturm would NOT be appropriate. This was not a "Sturmgruppe". It WAS a Barrier Breaker (where the barrier is the enemy MLR).