How good is the AI?

Really, how good is the AI in combat mission? Can it give an average human player a reasonable and realistic game when it is defending?

One note.. when playing one of the hedgerow scenarios, I had a hidden 76mm AT gun behind a hedgerow overlooking a crucial portion of a road leading to a victory point.. The AI sent 4 Shermans through and one was quickly taken out by the AT gun at point blank range. The other 3 immedietly backed out of the sight of the AT gun and 2 turns later all three appeared at the same time in front of the gun... before the poor AT gun crew could have a reasonable shot they were blown to bits. I really liked that manuever by the AI but I am not sure if it was intentional.

The point of this post is to determine wheter or not the AI is a viable challenge in CM...

In the Scenario "Last Defense" I think it is called..I was the german defender and the one 88mm Flak gun on the hill blasted every single AI AFV one by one as he sent them the same way....only after I killed them all did the AI destroy the gun with Arty. EDIT=Its "Reisberg" scenario not "Last Defense"

[This message has been edited by Jagdwyrm (edited 10-16-2000).]

Juno,

I find the AI pretty good. Sometimes it performs excellently, sometimes more poorly ...... but that seems realistic to me smile.gif But, it does seem to be better at defence than offence.

I find the AI a reliable partner for "learning" ..... and that's one of the main things I love about CM; that I've learnt something from every Scenario I've played.

I've never found any one tactic that ALWAYS works .... and that's maybe the best quality about the AI. An example, I often save my 81mm mortar for pounding infantry or taking out AT guns as it usually works well .... but today it didn't frown.gif

AI is not going to be able to perform in a "reasonable and realistic" manner for many years now.

That said, the CM AI is the best I've seen in a wargame, or in any game, really.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

The ai is ok, but needs work.

However u cant expect to much, in a game like this. Humans will always be a better, varying challange.

The ai does stupid, funnny and sometimes crazy things. I know there are probs but i can live with it. I play PBM anyways and soon ipx/tcp!!!!! smile.gif

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JunoReactor:

Really, how good is the AI in combat mission? Can it give an average human player a reasonable and realistic game when it is defending?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I am just playtesting a scenario of mine, and in it I am advancing a column of light armour/HTs down a road. I have send a Humber Scout Car ahead to, well, scout. The AI had an ambush with a 20mm AA gun prepared, and let it drive through, waiting for HTs loaded with engineer squads. Result, Humber lives, two HTs die, leaving me half an engineer platoon short of a sandwich...

Not to mention the rifle squad it is cutting up at the moment. And to think I designed this scenario... I hate this AI sometimes.

------------------

Andreas

There are times the AI can be surprisingly cunning.

It can use smoke well, and it can surprise you and mount a well cordinated counter attack.

It is better at defending and it seems to be able to identify and rank threat priorities very well.

It can be surprisingly tactically adept at times.

It is VERY good to practice against.

For a $25.00 U.S. ($70.00 CND) I would say you get EXCEPTIONAL bang for your buck out of the CM Artificial Intelligence!

-tom w

The AI does become very easy to beat after awhile and you'll find yourself giving the AI a +% handicapp of force points. Quantity to make up for quality? The only problem I have is that I am having to re-learn how to play vs human opponents, especially those who use speed that the AI never uses.

-john