Combat Lessons

Hey guys, check out these .pdf copies of "Combat Lessons" pamphlets issued by the US Army during WW2.

http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usamhi/DL/chron.htm#AWorldWarII19391945

Combat Lesson 5 describes the usefulness of the M-16 HT.

http://carlisle-www.army.mil/cgi-bin/usamhi/DL/showdoc.pl?docnum=145

CL #6 is excellent. http://carlisle-www.army.mil/cgi-bin/usamhi/DL/showdoc.pl?docnum=146

In all seriousness, I'm glad someone else posted a link to that site. The more people who see that stuff, the better. I'm afraid not too many people noticed it when I posted originally, and I'm vain enough not to want to seem like I'm tooting my own horn by reposting myself biggrin.gif.

As far as I'm concerned, the sooner people read about how things were actually done, the sooner we can bury things like jeep rushes smile.gif

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

See above:

No apologies needed, I really would be a total jerk if I got put out because someone posted a link that led more people to material as good as this stuff.

And I reckon I'm only about half a jerk or so wink.gif

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

• 5 months later...

Originally posted by argie:

From that site I strongly recommend "Changing an Army", from Gen. Depuy.

Hevy file, but is a jewell.

Ariel

I followed your excellent recommendation, and yes, DePuy has quite much to say about the time period covered in CM. His views seem not be clouded by jingoism.

For instance the German soldier's superior fieldcraft impressed him very much. Also he points out that the rhinoceros blade fitted in many US tanks was only marginally succesful because the hedgerows were often too thick even for those devices to cut through (CM seems to be very liberal in this respect). It's fascinating and sad to read how the natural selection reworked the US-army during the "Normandy meat grinder".

I'll strongly second your recommendation for everyone. Thanks.

Ari

Originally posted by Ari Maenpaa:

I followed your excellent recommendation, and yes, DePuy has quite much to say about the time period covered in CM. His views seem not be clouded by jingoism.

For instance the German soldier's superior fieldcraft impressed him very much. Also he points out that the rhinoceros blade fitted in many US tanks was only marginally succesful because the hedgerows were often too thick even for those devices to cut through (CM seems to be very liberal in this respect). It's fascinating and sad to read how the natural selection reworked the US-army during the "Normandy meat grinder".

I'll strongly second your recommendation for everyone. Thanks.

Ari

Well, Ari, thank you for the kindly words smile.gif

Ariel

a.k.a. Ari for friends wink.gif