1.1 beta: Chat key (tilde) is bad

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

IMHO, Tab would be about the best, or maybe Backslash (below delete). ...

Does Tab work well for Swedish, German etc keyboards?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>\ is [AltGr] and [+] simultaneously frown.gif

Tab works fine, but since it's used to center on units it has to be combined with something else. How about Shift-Tab ?

And the suggestions to use å, ä, ö or ü (those keys to the right of P and L) are still open wink.gif

€ is also free, the battle does take place in Europe, after all.

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

IMHO, Tab would be about the best, or maybe Backslash (below delete). ...

Does Tab work well for Swedish, German etc keyboards?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>\ is [AltGr] and [+] simultaneously frown.gif

Tab works fine, but since it's used to center on units it has to be combined with something else. How about Shift-Tab ?

And the suggestions to use å, ä, ö or ü (those keys to the right of P and L) are still open wink.gif

€ is also free, the battle does take place in Europe, after all.

Cheers

Olle

Actually I really like the suggestion for the \ key (backslash below delete)

or the "9" key

all of these keys å, ä, ö or ü require a modifier like option alt or control "somthing" key to make happen on the north american keyboard.

I'm sure we can all agree on something international like the 9 key or the \ backslash key, both are not currently used, correct?

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 12-01-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

One more time?

Who has a problem with the suggestion of using the "9" key to initiate the chat?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

9 would be alright, I guess. Maybe 0 (zero) would be better, though. That way, it's right at the bottom of the keypad.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Personally I like the ~ key to chat, but maybe that comes from 1st person shooter experience. It is now the standard way to bring up the console, and I suspect that is why BTS picked it. But the real solution to all of these problems is a MAPPABLE KEYBOARD! And on a side note, joystick\throttle\rudder pedal support would be really cool too.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

Personally I like the ~ key to chat, but maybe that comes from 1st person shooter experience. It is now the standard way to bring up the console, and I suspect that is why BTS picked it. But the real solution to all of these problems is a MAPPABLE KEYBOARD! And on a side note, joystick\throttle\rudder pedal support would be really cool too.

WWB

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What would you do with a throttle and rudder pedal in CMBO? I don't have one so I don't know what you can use them for on non flight sim/ car games.

Theron

There are about 10 key commands in CMBO. My joystick/throttle combo has 10 buttons (well 27 if you want to count the dogfight switch). One could use rudder pedals to rotate views, and the throttle to move forward and back. The hat could control zoom. All of these could be advantageous in a timed TCP/IP game.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

9 would be alright, I guess. Maybe 0 (zero) would be better, though. That way, it's right at the bottom of the keypad.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point

0 zero is right at the bottom of the key board

on a laptop it is up above the P beside the 9 so it make no difference.

So I would advocate 0 as the intialize chat button just as well

I really really don't like the ` key for chat

but I do like chatting and taunting smile.gif

I wish I could play this weekend but I can't

(sorry WAY too busy BUMMER!)

-tom w

How nice. My very first post on this board was to request a mappable keyboard. It met with major stony silence IIRC. And yes, I agree, ` is a poor choice for chat IMHO.

On my french keyboard, tilde is Alt Gr - 7, and when I press it, the symbol doesn't come up right away. I have to press another key afterwards to get it to 'print'. Makes chatting pretty much impossible unless there's something here I haven't understood. Any French people experience this, or is my keyboard broken?

DeanCo--

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Theron:

What would you do with a throttle and rudder pedal in CMBO? I don't have one so I don't know what you can use them for on non flight sim/ car games.

Theron<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't you know? CM:BO supports a reatime action feel to the game for people who have a throttle and rudder pedal. When CM:BO detects that these accessories are available it enables you to drive you PC desk around the house as if you were a real Tank Driver.

Jeff

Customizable keys are, of course, the preference, but I would like to see the ENTER key being the default for chat. It is the one I'm used to from other strategy games and has caught me out several times already during TCP/IP. Just remap the "detailed info" key.

But hey, I'm usually having too much fun to get mad about it or anything...thanks BTS!

OK, I can't resist butting in here; why has no one mentioned that Windows has a set of keyboards that one can load? For instance, I have a French Win 98, but I have installed both French Canadian and US keyboard sets with the Win CD, and I can shift between them just by clicking on a small icon on the bottom right.

That's not bad, Henri, but the point is, why should I have to? We have people from all over the world here that are saying that the tilde key is a poor choice for the chat. Changing the keyboard to American will screw up the rest of the buttons for them just to fix 1 problem.

It's easier to put a more convienent button in the final patch IMHO.

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

Hi all.

Deanco, using a French keyboard also I can tell that IS really a poor choice for a key.

Since not ONLY do we need to do the AltGr+7 THEN we need to do SPACE or whatever else to have the first character inputed.

Took me an entire setup to find the key.

After 2 minutes I surrendered...

;)

Seriously BTS, the 0 of the NumPad or just one of the not used International keys like Right or Left Ctrl would be neat.

As it is I find it more convinient to Alt+Tab and do my tauntings in an ICQ chat window.

------------------

I shall unleash Death, Pestilence and Failed Blue Tests on ye!!

Any other day or so with Emma

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deanco:

On my french keyboard, tilde is Alt Gr - 7, and when I press it, the symbol doesn't come up right away. I have to press another key afterwards to get it to 'print'. Makes chatting pretty much impossible unless there's something here I haven't understood. Any French people experience this, or is my keyboard broken?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same thing happens on the Finnish keyboard. Shift+` does not display it yet, I have to press space after it. In Finnish keyboard ` is left to Backspace.

I agree, 0 in the keypad would be about ideal. I don't have Num Lock on usually, but it would be a good solution. Mappable keyboard would be the best one.