BTS, the way to keep CM1 fresh by the time CM4 is done.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

I stated this in the "My Big Idea"" thread, but I think is important enough to start a new thread.

The way I see to keep the CM1 engine and graphics fresh by the time CM4 is done is do the following.....

First of all, don't make drastic changes in the engine, cause what you've got here is already steps ahead in the genre already.

Then as you develop the next version, release enhancement patches for the earlier version(s). Therefore keeping the earlier versions up-to-date with the current working versions.

And so if you do this, then one could physically combine each new version with the older version(s) making one large WWII extravaganza! What I mean by "physically combining" them is by actually installing the new version into the same folder and having access to both(all) CMs in one game system.

Hope you all would give this some thought, because 3 years from now, I don't wanna be saying, "CM:Beyond Overlord is so...yesterday." wink.gif

------------------

"Why don't we say that we took this one chance, and fought!"

"Stupid humans. Hahahahahahaha!"

--from the film Battlefield Earth

Hmm, well OB&G, Steve and Charles have already indicated that

they fully intend, if at all possible, to retrofit the enhancements

of future CM's into the existing ones. So that pretty much takes

care of that wish. smile.gif Now I'm not sure about combining the games,

but what good would that do? You just pick the period of WWII

in Europe that you want to fight in and then fire up the CM that

corresponds to that time. Pretty simple. smile.gif

Sounds a good idea in principle but would you rather have BTS working on a patch for CM1/2 or working on CM3 ???? It's a tough call. With the limited manpower BTS has I imagine it could pose a problem - BUT, if we all really want updates then maybe we could agree to pay some small charge for the patch & in doing so make it more worthwhile for BTS (and also perhaps enable them to employ another pair of hands so as not to deplete resources allocated for the current project).

Just a thought. I would love one day to have an entire collection of CMs covering the entire war - each of them of a current build.

smile.gif Gamers paying for game patches - whatever next wink.gif.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee:

Hmm, well OB&G, Steve and Charles have already indicated that they fully intend, if at all possible, to retrofit the enhancements of future CM's into the existing ones. So that pretty much takes care of that wish. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, OK, I was not aware of that, so if it's true then that's great! smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Now I'm not sure about combining the games, but what good would that do? You just pick the period of WWII in Europe that you want to fight in and then fire up the CM that corresponds to that time. Pretty simple. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that point was mentioned in the "My Big Idea" thread, so they could "import" units from game to game, so why not make them inter-installable? And leave out the middle-man? smile.gif

------------------

"Why don't we say that we took this one chance, and fought!"

"Stupid humans. Hahahahahahaha!"

--from the film Battlefield Earth

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 05-06-2000).]

Originally posted by getthat_wreckoff_theroad:

With the limited manpower BTS has I imagine it could pose a problem - BUT, if we all really want updates then maybe we could agree to pay some small charge for the patch & in doing so make it more worthwhile for BTS (and also perhaps enable them to employ another pair of hands so as not to deplete resources allocated for the current project).

Just a thought. I would love one day to have an entire collection of CMs covering the entire war - each of them of a current build.

Put me on the list that you would pay for a patch that would make my current CM? comparable to the latest release and I would be able to play a campaign that would cover the whole war.

I know this is out of place for this topic a bit but a kewl addition to cm would to have an online game, with multiple players, all turns on multiple fields played out at once, each player controlling a btn or so and the whole fronts movements and missions plotted by a sort of gamesmaster for either side who can lose contact with btns or entire sectors, can control reinforcements, airstrikes and the lot, the gamesmaster would use a relatively simple program which would edit maps and resend them to all the players, he in turn would be sent the maps of battles that have been completed so they can be resent to those under his command,everyone is in the picture,

technologically its probably easy but gamewise, each player would have to finish his turn before the gamesmaster can review and the next turn can happen....

just thought that a game of cms campaign system could handle this type of large scale but in depth battle..

------------------

This is my rifle,

this is my gun.

This ones for killing, this ones a tasty alternative to turkey at christmas.....

Guest MantaRay

Spider,

There is such a game comming out, it is called WW2ONLINE. It is not a turn based game, but the things that happen on one battlefield has an impact on the theatre as a whole.

www.wwiionline.com

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

i had a look at it but with the player in a tank scale its gonna end up like quake in ww2, no teams, every man for himself...

i think that at cms scale realism can be kept and there will only be two levels of command, nothing really to go wrong and a game could have a fairly large battle with 16 players..

cmmc? explain ive heard of it, need more info..... feed me....

Spider,

CMMC was the idea of Fionn Kelly - and the planning for it has taken on a life of its own.

Basically, we plan to run a campaign almost exactly the way you described. Players will control Bns at the tactical level, and combat will occur via the CM system. Operational matters (or everything that occurs in modern warfare outside of combat)will be commanded by players and directed by GM's and a series of rules being written right now. These rules are going to be very rigorous historically.

We have not announced what historical campaign we are going yet officially for FOW reasons (but a number of players have ideas what it is). Most of the Bn positions are filled but some are still available (we have over 200 players). A good deal of the chain of command has been picked as well (we have div/corps/army commanders, ops/intel/supply officers, etc).

CMMC should much more historically accurate than the 'wwiionline' series, with less 'gamey' aspects. We have a lot of former military folks running the behind the scene actions as GM's and OoB's/TO&E are based history.

If you are interested, visit Madmatt's CMHQ and select the CMMC page. That page has not been updated in a while, but things are definitely moving along well.

James Bailey