Making CM look it's best.

Guest Pillar

Guest Pillar

I've got the mod packs, but I still seem to think that the screenshots from other users (Particularly MadMatt) look better.

This isn't just since you got the 64 meg video card Matt. smile.gif

One major discrepency is the fog. The fog for me is just near ground level, and you can see abrupt lines where it stops near the edges of the map and about 30 feet agl. On other screenshots however, the fog is immense and all encompassing. It looks really great, but mine doesn't look that way! frown.gif

Grass seems to be more brilliant than mine in some pictures. (Yes, I have the hires texture).

Finally, some of the trees on in the screenshots (particularly pines) look way clearer and more lifelike than do the ones on my system.

My question to anyone is what can I do, big or small, to make CM look it's best?

We can use this thread to continue to discuss ways of improving CM's graphics (not just through mods necessarily).

Guest KwazyDog

Pillar it depends on what video card you have, but make sure you have the latest drivers. Check out the following web site for tweaking tricks to get the best results in both fps and visuals...chances are they will have something specific to your video card.

www.tweak3d.com

This may be worth checkout out for anyone out there actually. I purposely made a scenario to maxed out my system and was getting an average of about 5fps. After running through the tweak guide I got the same scenario running at about 12fps, which made a world of difference. Its well worth checking out. If you have a TNT2, check out the GeForce tweaking guide, as it uses the same drivers.

Also, the combination of ALT and G in CM cycles through its various gamma setting. You may have this set to low which is giving a darker scene.

Hope that is of help smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 07-07-2000).]

Guest Pillar

I don't have a framerate problem really, it's just the that quality seems lacking (only compared to other screenshots).

Would you mind sending me that scenario of yours?

(moiety@hotmail.com)

Guest Pillar

One thing I'd like tweaked about CM's graphics is the way the "off map" ground is represented.

Currently, if you look at it near the edge it's a solid dropoff. Only if you are in a very low-down view does it look like the map continues off into the distance.

There must be some minor trick or tile replacement we can use here. Flight sims do it all the time. The area under the aircraft is detailed and the textures fade into the distance gradually.

Colin's background here looks decent (hilly region in back). Again, it's the low-down view however.