TANKS IN PRIVATE RYAN...

Actually it was !!! wink.gif

But the matter ha been discussed a zillion time on this forum (Vote for the SS : Search Supporters wink.gif)

There are very few operationnal german tanks from WWII Big pieces like Tiger I and II are rare.

BTW Jochen is your Capslock broken , felt like you are yelling at us!

------------------

Nicolas

"Deux intellectuels assis vont moins loin qu'une brute qui marche"

Un Taxi Pour Tobrouk

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blackwood:

I can recall reading somewhere that there is a fella in Oz that supplies working WW2 tanks to the movie makers.

Ron<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are probably thinking about the tanks in "courage under fire". They were sourced from Australia and were retired aussie centurians dressed up to look the part. I seem to remember reading the movie company had to do this because the deal they had to use real Abrams fell through because the movie depicted the military covering up blue on blue contact and we all know blue on blue ****fights never happen and if they did, noone would ever lie about it smile.gif

When I first saw "Ryan" I was (of course) blown away by everything. THen I noticed that the 'Tigers' had the drive sprockets at the rear--not in front as on an actual Mk VI.

Still it was awesome. ----Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Bovington also has a real Tiger 1, so you can compare sizes of the original and the mockup. (Mockup is tiny in comparison). Besides, the British one (Which has a GB car sticker on the back!) is undergoing automotive restoration, which I don't believe can be said for the French example.

You sure about the sprocket wheel at the back? A T-34 doesn't have a sprocket wheel, it uses rollers in the drivewheel which engage the track guides.

I've been told that the Kelly's Heroes 'tigers' were different T-34s.. I don't know where they are.

NTM

I was reading a book at the library about Tigre's, and I think it said that there is only 1 King Tiger (or just Tiger?) left that is Operational in Europe or something like that.

I may be wrong

------------------

¤§ïѤ

"You sure about the sprocket wheel at the back? A T-34 doesn't have a sprocket wheel, it uses rollers in the drivewheel which engage the track guides."

Positive. I'm staring at a 1/35th scale model of a Tiger I I made. The main drive sprockets are in the front. In the back are the small bogie wheels. In the movie, the drive sprocket is in the back--as in a T-34.

-------Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Guest Bad Ju Ju

Ahhh....used to read "Military Modeler" and spend hours as a kid with 1/35 scale WWII models.....Wonder if I can get my almost seven-year old interested in this again? Anyone tempted to get out the airbrush and glue?

------------------

"I didn't go to evil medical school for six years to be called MR. Evil." Dr. Evil

I'm not querying if the Tiger has the sprocket wheel on the front or not, I'm querying if the T-34 had a sprocket wheel at the back. Last I checked, the T-34 was fairly unique amongst tanks as to not having a sprocket wheel anywhere. That's right, no projections from the wheel interlinking with the track. Instead, the projections from the track slotted into the drivewheel's rollers. This meant there was much reduced friction, and no damageable teeth on the wheel.

I've no clue why the system was never incorporated into any other vehicles.

NTM

Well I do not know for the Tiger I but the King Tiger is fully restored and has participated in the 1999 Caroussel with numerous other WWII and WWI vintage tanks.

Impressive show scheduled every mid-july a must go if you are in the Loire area

------------------

Nicolas

"Deux intellectuels assis vont moins loin qu'une brute qui marche"

Un Taxi Pour Tobrouk

Guest Michael emrys

One night quite a few years back I caught the last 20 minutes or so of The Battle of the River Drava (if that's the correct title). In addition to some obviously faked-out German tanks, they had at least one Tiger that looked to me to be the real thing. I'd love to see the movie all the way through sometime and check whether I IDed it correctly.

Michael

Hell anyone with a skill saw an some plywood

could turn a volkswagon into a tiger just take a little effort an it be tough to tell the difference on camera dont no why hollywood didnt do that from the start they really coulda juiced up some great movies from the past...like a "bridge too far"

> Anyone tempted to get out the airbrush and glue?

Not until someone works out the age-old problem: paint first, and the glue will strip the paint - or glue first, and you can't get at all the bits to paint them.

And the other one: a model kit which doesn't collect dust (models are impossible to dust), and won't shed scores of tiny details when it takes a knock.

Model kits are nothing but a liability. I used to have shelves of them (none particularly well made), but I took great pleasure in junking them during my Great Clearout (a monumental event recorded in most British newspapers at the time) a few years back.

David

> coulda juiced up some great movies from the past...like a "bridge too far"

The Battle Of The Bulge (besides being totally fanciful) was dealt a death-blow by the use of thoroughly un-Tiger-like US tanks. (What are they called? Pattons? I haven't much of a clue about post-war tanks).

Second World War tanks were so distinctive that, while to the lay person a tank is a tank, to anyone who knows the difference the use of the wrong tanks completely destroys a film. And as for expecting us to believe Sherman Fireflies are actually Tigers in The Big Red One... they might as well have used milk floats, for all the similarity.

David