Fords and vehicles

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob/1:

...and what if there was a stuka dive bomer over head!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would most likely be sent to the Great Beyond by any of the daily horde of Allied fighters in the air.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dittohead:

I'm a Dodge man myself. biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang, beat me to it! I was reading down the thread thinking, "I thought most of the deuce and a halfs were made by GMC, which is pretty close to Chevy, and so THEY shouldn't have a problem with streams..."

Shall I say I'm *tired* of these *Ford* jokes?

heh heh.

biggrin.gif

Fjord would be too deep. You need viking ships to cross those.

):^)

I started this thread because I know the Germans at least sometimes outfitted Tiger tanks to cross rivers (don't know if it really worked, though, imagine if they got stuck mid-way).

Most fords across the size of river seen in CM should be crossable by most vehicles. In the mid-20th century they were still a fairly common man-made/modified feature that was a cheap alternative to building a bridge, usually with a smooth gravel bed that was quite capable of handling cars and commercial traffic. Quite a lot of country roads would cross small rivers via a ford so it would seem reasonable to allow at least lighter vehicles to cross; heavy or tracked might cross but would tend to destroy the gravel bed in the process.

Maybe the future CM version can have

two types of fords, one that vehicles can

slowly pass through (with a chance of getting

stuck of course) and the others that only

infantry can go through (with a chance of

drowning?)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patboivin:

I know it's been discussed before, but I'm bringing it up again.

I would like it if at least *some* vehicles could cross fords, it would come in handy sometimes.

smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From personal experience, it is never a good idea to cross a Ford. smile.gif

pford

[This message has been edited by pford (edited 08-25-2000).]

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

don't forget cavarly!! We gonna need them on the eastern front right? How about this: it looks like an impassible river till you do recon along the banks, then a ford (if included in the scenario) becomes visible?! That could be great fun.

I think that the problem of vehicular fords would be one of scale. I have never been to Europe and seen their local waterways, but around here the rivers that would show up in the CM mapscale are would NOT be fordable without preparation (of both the riverbed and the vehicle). After all, this terrain feature is a minimum of a 20 meter wide. I don't know of any viable fords in a 50 mile radius (and not being a 4WD fan I haven't even looked).

The local physical restraints for fording are: deep riverbeds of soft sand and silt, combined with 2 meter or taller banks of structurally unsound sandy earth deposited on the surrounding floodplain; and, erosional channels through rocky ridges that can only be described in CM as 'rough' terrain.

A note in the CM manual (describing the map editor I think?) mentioned modleing the drainage ditches alongside roads. Basically they are just too small to be modeled on the map. So! you can vicariously picture a small waterway (5 to 10 meters is small?) running across a map by placing fully conneted 'strings' of the following terrain types.

a. rough

b. fully wooded

c. scattered trees

d. tall pines

e. brush

f. marsh (my favorite by the way)

(Oh! Well, gee. That's about anything that is not manmade... :P).

Natural fords for men afoot... anyone of them... and some great terrain features for area defence or infiltration depending on orientation. Natural fords for vehicles... brush and scattered trees. Some chance of bogging down, but not TOO bad.

You want to put in a manmade/maintained ford? Well if it's a manmade ford there should be a road, just put in a road tile for option b. c. or d. above.

The problem is you have to build the maps manually unless they alter the generating code :). also you have to find a waterway path that does not 'run up hill'.

Ah. This is great. Now I have a REAL excuse to play around with maps...

Just as an afterthought. I think (flame freely if I am wrong) that most all fording tank designs required more than minimal preparation for the tank. I makes sence that the combat engineers might prepare a riverbed/bank with carpets of some type. After all the Brits had some tanks built to lay carpet over sandy beaches.

And as an afterafterthought. If I remember my Kelly's Heros, they had one heck of a problem with bridges... :D

------------------

"What are we going to do tonight Brain?"

"The same thing we do every night Pinkey... We're going to take over Europe!"