where's the smoke?

Henri

Which units does one have to choose in an a QB assault scenario in order to get smoke rounds? Right now I have 3 pbem games in which I am supposed to assault enemy positions defended by hordes of machineguns and AT guns, with nary a smoke round.

Marching infantry across open fields in the face of machineguns is not very conducive to survival.

Henri

I would pick on board mortars (even 2"/50mm/60mm) but most tks/stugs will have smoke. The problem is that the actual number of smoke rounds for all these weapons appears to be random so sometimes you will end up with very few or none - a real pain eek.gif . The only way to guarantee smoke is to use OBA to fire smoke. The most cost effective for this would be 81mm Mortar/75mm Arty OBA.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted:

Just a note-The larger the caliber the longer the smoke lasts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's got me thinking, how long would a 14 inch smoke round last for? 2 weeks? Just wondering out loud.

Regards

Jim R.

------------------

Whoa mule, WHOA!.....when ah sez Whoa ahz mean WHOA!!! ....Whang....

Ya flea bitten varmit...

Ah hate dat Wabbit! (or Gerbil or Hampster or Rattus Rattus...insert preference)

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

...how long would a 14 inch smoke round last for? 2 weeks?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do the 14" in the game have smoke? I can't recall that they did in real life.

Michael

I am having trouble getting my tanks to stay on target when I give them an area target and tell them to lay smoke. Two tanks in the same scenario immediately gave up the command when the movie started and targeted machine guns that were far away from them and absolutely no threat to them.

Is there a secret to making tanks persistantly lay smoke?

I've noticed this also. I cannot, for the life of me, get my tanks to shoot their smoke rounds if there are any enemy units in LOS at all.

------------------

No, there will be no sequels. Charles and Steve have given up wargame design in disgust and have gone off to Jamaica to invest their new-found wealth in the drug trade. -Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kunzler:

Is there a secret to making tanks persistantly lay smoke?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes! Have them targeted by a scary enemy, like a KT or so. Then they will pop smoke and back off real fast wink.gif.

Otherwise they might shoot one smoke round before turning their attention to something else.

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

Otherwise they might shoot one smoke round before turning their attention to something else.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heck, most o' da time, my tanks only HAVE one smoke round (if they have any at all) rolleyes.gif

Henri