grid references etc.

This message is a three-parter.

First: sometimes I find it confusing to follow some peoples descriptions of events. A statement such as 'I moved to the left house, near the clump of trees' may be ambiguous. Is there any thought to having a standard grid overlay with an on/off toggle? At the same time, and less important, how about a North arrow?

Second: following my previous posting about how much we should be able to see, I see it went in ten directions, followed by assorted name-calling. All I really had in mind was a simple generic map until one of your units got LOS, then you would see the full detail. I know this still isn't fully realistic, but then being to fly over the entire battle field at any height wasn't too common in WWII either.

Third: I have been playing, creating and testing war games since 1970, so I have seen a fairly good cross-section of the genre. I feel that CM is probably the best I have seen of its type, in terms of tactical level and ease of play. I realize many people want a game that does something very specific (e.g. being in control of everything, including inflating the tires of the bicycle brigade; the ability to control an entire tank army etc) but those are not the game the developers have created. In the end this is NOT a real simulation of WWII tactics, it is a great game and should be enjoyed as such. After all, if this were a real simulation then all you would see if what is in the LOS of the commander and everything else would come in as messages: not too interesting. So, enjoy the game that has been been provided and, if a 100% realistic simulation is the only thing that will make you happy, write your own.

Guest tom w

Mike brings up a good point.

re: the Grid system/over lay...

How do you describe your location or

the enemies location for those, soon

to be ubiquitious, After Action Report?

and the north arrow?

I've wondered about that myself.

As for Points 2 and 3 each one of those could be

a whole new thread so I'll leave them alone :)

-Tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikeadams:

This message is a three-parter.

First: sometimes I find it confusing to follow some peoples descriptions of events. A statement such as 'I moved to the left house, near the clump of trees' may be ambiguous. Is there any thought to having a standard grid overlay with an on/off toggle? At the same time, and less important, how about a North arrow?

, write your own.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest hunt52

North arrow is in. If you really want to, you can go to view 7 or 8 and take a screenshot of the map and overlay a grid in something like photoshop...

- Bill

Besides the north arrow, CM also has now "Landmarks", which the scenario designer can put in to describe certain locations on the map. They hover as a text line above the specified terrain feature. That way description already are much easier: I ordered the platoon to move from "Heinz Farm" to "Hartenstein Hotel"...etc. You can toggle them on and off, of course.

Guest tom w

OK thats cool

I saw those posted on a POTD day awhile back

at the CMHQ web site.

Thanks for the reminder.

-Tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moon:

Besides the north arrow, CM also has now "Landmarks", which the scenario designer can put in to describe certain locations on the map. They hover as a text line above the specified terrain feature. That way description already are much easier: I ordered the platoon to move from "Heinz Farm" to "Hartenstein Hotel"...etc. You can toggle them on and off, of course.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikeadams:

So, enjoy the game that has been been provided and, if a 100% realistic simulation is the only thing that will make you happy, write your own.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or better yet, go join your respective armed forces. biggrin.gifrolleyes.gif

We have to remember that this is first and fore most a GAME. A game is usually supposed to be fun, not tedious. wink.gif

In the past, I have bought games that were extremely tedious and therefore unfun to play, so I took them back, for that very reason. One that comes to mind is "Stars" I think. It was one of those galactic empire and exploration games that was window driven with very little graphics. Tried out the manual tutorial and still could understand it. frown.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side.

Fear leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate.

Hate leads to suffering."

--Jedi Master Yoda

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 04-25-2000).]