UK Arty Spotter vs Panther's & PzKpfw IV's

Heh, I'm playing an QB in winter with a armored Co, of Pz.grenadiers vs the British for an vital piece of ground.

I split my force of grenadiers in HT's with an Panther & PzKpfw IV to each group & 1 StuH 42 each. And send 1 Plt on a wide flank manouver through the deep woods.

The 1 group breaks wide then up the right side of the map on fast move orders, and gets half way to their oibjective when British Artillery starts zeoring in, I lose 3 hts and 1 imobed Panther, the rest of the force pushes throuh farther & is taken under fire by Churchill VII's.

At the same time my other combined force threads thru the middle where my Panther on hunt orders gets LOS on the Churchills & KO's 2 of them, Churchills are tough tanks even at 384ms as the Panther averaged 5 Pzgr.39 rounds (all hits) on them to KO them. With the Panther coveing (theirs still 1 or 2 Churchills left) I move the PzKpfw IV up to help, and send the 251's with the StuH 42 thru.

By this time the 1st force has now encountered dug in Inf with an unidentified gun in support. The gun takes out 2 unocupied 251's then gets destroyed by the StuH 42 that was with the 251s. The PzKpfw IV breaks off and catches another Churchill from 400ms with a side turret penetration putting that out of action as neither the other Panther or PzKpfw IV could take it out despite numerous hits.

Now the 2nd force 251's have run into whay appears to be a forward deployed inf company which they now have to dismount and deal with while the 251's provide covering fire. As soon as its cleared up I move the Panther & PzKpfw IV's from both forces out to deal with 2 Britisj 6pdr AT guns, which they take care of for the loss of 1 PzKpfw IV.

With the left flank clear of armor & AT guns I let the tanks roam on a wide circut so they can engage at range the spotted Brtitish Inf, that was my mistake smile.gif. I see a lone British trooper walk out to 106ms from 2 tanks (their engageing other targets and ignore him) then I see 3 or 4 arty rounds come in (this is in the same turn) Clang, the Panther takes a side hull penetration & is KO'd the PzKpfw 4 moves and then goes catostrauphic with a top turret penetration.

Then the Brit trooper walks a bit further and 2 more rounds come down takeing my last PzKpfw IV out with an front top hull penetration.

1 brave lil Arty spotter took out 3 tanks with maybe 8 mortar rounds frown.gif, moral of the story kill spotters at all costs and dont underestimate the Arty spotters smile.gif.

Regards, John Waters

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loki:

I have yet to lose a tank to arty in roughly 50 battles.Do you have a rough idea of what kind of arty landed on you? I'd be curious if others have had similiar experiences.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it was mortars, off board mortars 8(. And it did ruin my day. BTW I have run into another similar QB experience cept this time its on board, 2 & 3in mortars takeing out my armor (2 Panther's and 5 HTs so far).

Regards, John Waters