How to not lose

Here's a bit of advise on how to reduce the chance of losing.

Do not panic

Panic leads to a loss of personal (or player) morale. No matter how bad things appear to be going, keep cool about it. I have noticed in over 20 years of wargaming that when a player starts to panic, he has already lost. More recently, in a few PBEM games, that I have gotten some rather stunning victories because my opponent's morale broke... not his troops, his own personal morale. If you convince yourself you are going to lose, you will.

Just my 2 cents

Yes warfare has a strong physico side to it as well, if thats how you spell it.

P.S If Herr Oberst is still around im sure he will correct me.

------------------

AUCK

New Zealand

Superpower waiting to happen

Ah, grasshopper, you still cannot snatch the pebble from my hand...

US translation of Shao Lin priest's words:

"You'll get this pebble when you pry it out of my cold, dead fingers."

(Humor[?] for those familiar with David Carradine and US bumper stickers)

I have gotten beaten, and badly for all to see by Berli, but he never beat me psychologically. However, I agree with his original opinion and have also seen the opposite.

I had him crushed and perfectly on the run in LD and had it all turn around in a manner of seconds (you know when). I have also clawed my way out of some pretty hairy situations in CE, so I am sure the players' morale, as well as that of his in game troops, has an effect.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

Damn, and I was gonna just give Bauhaus the business about sucking. Something along the line of "Im going to teach my wife to play CM and intorduce her to Bauhaus". I like to generate bloodlust in my opponents. It makes for great whippings for masochists such as myself. biggrin.gif

------------------

desert rat wannabe

Guest Big Time Software

Very funny smile.gif

Yes, Panicking is something that seems to happen often in CM games. Cripes, I have even panicked against the AI a few times wink.gif However, so far as my men know I am giving them sensible orders. Good thing they can't see my palms sweating when I am issuing them biggrin.gif

I have found that the best thing to do on a turn where Panic sets in is a cautious move. Avoid making any major changes to your orders, expcept for perhaps canceling some or redirecting guys in motion to better cover. Plotting wildly different moves is likely to make things worse before better. Then mentally switch gears for the next couple of turns to stay in caution mode and see if there is real reason to Panic.

For example, I was playing a game against the AI. It looked like two companies were going to hit a weak platoon full force. But I stopped some mortars that were in the process of redeploying and hit them hard. I took out a full platoon's worth of men before losing one mortar. The AI's attack stalled (he had Green troops) under this hail of shrap and I was able to hold out for another 10 turns while I pulled my platoon's right flank back into safety (well, as much as was left of it!!). However, had I tried to flee I would have lost the game I am sure of it.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moriarty:

Hmmmmm, how not to lose?

Play ....... bauhaus?

I can say this cuz he is way, way ahead of me in LD. biggrin.gif

(using Berl's tactics)

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 01-31-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ouch, how did you sneak that one in without me seeing. I do resemble that remark. Berli only got in my head once, that was on Last Defense, using the same tactics I'm using now. It can be demoralizing.