Killing fast moving armoured cars? (forced opportunity fire...?)

My friend has a habit of zipping his armoured cars between my defenses. He does not try to kill anything just gets my units to show-up. (Sounds like forcing opportunity fire on a jeep - doesn't it?)

It is gamey but it works.

This plays havoc with them. This causes my infantry to "decloak" and waste panzerfaust on armoured cars. On the other hand MGs stay hidden and don't fire at all. My AT guns start firing and miss.

After zipping 2 or 3 armoured cars between my defenses he just pounds all units he noticed with artilery.

What is the best way and weapon to kill AC moving at full speed? Is it 20 mm flak? MG?

Suggestions please...

Whibelwind is somewhat expensive and does not ussualy rotate fast enought. Cars at "Fast speed" just zip past it. (Unless it is in open - but then any tank can easily kill it)

It is very different story against AI. AI does not move it units at full speed. Against AI whiberwind is quite effective.

I think one way to combat these "gamey" recon tactics would be to reduce the cost of barbed wire entanglements or have a simple barbed wire barricade as an option. Most units in during the war when on the defensive always dug in and put up some form of barbed wire obstacles along the avenues of approach. At 15 pts a crack the entanglements are a tad expensive,should be 3 pts or so. And include felled tree barricades as well. Used extensively by the Germans.

Nothing like driving around the corner and seeing some wire.

Maybe we could get this modified in one of the future patches.

Tony

I'd thought doing zippy drive-bys was one of the things for which armored cars were designed. If it's not coordinated with an assault, for the express purpose of drawing fire a la Steel Panthers, that's one thing, but if he's simply going in at high speed to see what's there that seems a reasonable use of the unit. Where would you draw the line between gameyness and legitimate reconnaissance?

I'd have to go with the quad 20mm as well. Their chance to hit is excellent, even vs moving targets.

I just finished a PBEM where my opponent took 10 of the little M20 armored cars. The Wirbelwind shredded 4 of them, 3 in one turn. Chance to hit a hull down moving M20 -- 57%

What he does is exactly the steel panters jeep drive by.

1) Use AC/jeep to do quick drive by.

2) Let it die.

3) Use artilery to kill everything spotted.

4) Repeat (use next AC...)

Maybe 20mm flak will be good to stop him. It is pretty cheap...

Also I like the wire mine idea...