Slight Visibility Issue

I've been playing the CM Demo on and off for a while now, and the only real problem I have with it is terrain visibility. I always feel required to zoom into ground level in order to have any clue what the terrain is doing. And with CM's picky true-LOS checks, the smallest changes in terrain can be pretty important.

I know its somewhat late to be asking for features, but maybe one can hope for an update? What I would really like is one of two things, maybe both.

1 - A slope map. For anyone who has used Myth 2's map making tools, you'll know what I mean. Its basically a colored overlay that splits the terrain into triangles and colors each according to the slope. This would be invaluable in planning attacks and choke points. And minute terrain changes that are just enough to kill your LOS would be clear.

2 - Elevation Overlay. Similar to above, an optional overlay that colors sections of the map by elevation. Basically the same purpose as a slop map, but maybe a bit easier to read.

Does anyone else have the same problem as I do, and does anyone think this would be a valid fix?

------------------

--

Drew E. Harry

Moses Brown School

"This calls for a subtle combination of mathematics and extreme violence." - The Cube

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Actually, just a toggleble Topography Map Overlay would work.

------------------

"I am not interested in the names of your fathers...nor of your family's lineage. What I am interested in...is your breaking point!"--Gen. Chang

Hmm.

Doesn't interest me for game play. Just not realistic for a commander to have this tool on the ground. Which is what CM seems to be focusing on. I enjoy getting eye level and scoping out the terrain.

There was even discussion earlier on the board that during ladder games, this would be the only "fair" view of the battle field.

Meaning the game would only allow players to see the level 1 and 2 of the battle field. smile.gif

When you approach the game like this, it becomes very realistic in all aspects.

Now on the other hand, for scenario design yes, sounds like it would be a great tool.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Terrain contrast has been improved since the beta demo so it should be easier to see elevation differences in the final version.

In addition, the scenario creator/editor has all the terrain tiles with little elevation numbers on them. Wild Bill & the Raiders excellent site http://www.wbr.thegamers.net has an overview of the map editor and you can see all the little numbers on the map.

But I agree, it would be cool to have a terrain map with little elevation lines on them.

Jason

[This message has been edited by guachi (edited 04-09-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I enjoy getting eye level and scoping out the terrain.

There was even discussion earlier on the board that during ladder games, this would be the only "fair" view of the battle field.

Meaning the game would only allow players to see the level 1 and 2 of the battle field<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True enough. If you want realism, view 2,3&4 should not be allowed. View 5-8 can be viewed any time during the orders phase. View 1 should only be available within a certain radius of your units. Movie playback should not be available in views 2-8.

However if these rule options for ladder games were possible, a detailed topographical map should be available.

Or smile.gif... you can assume that recce patrols gathered enough info to warrent all views available as the game stands now.

[This message has been edited by iggi (edited 04-09-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Does anyone else have the same problem as I do, and does anyone think this would be a valid fix?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, everybody (including us) agreed. That is why we fixed it smile.gif The textures were overhauled (along with most everything else) and there is no longer problems with terrain elvation. Map overlays and such are out of the question though.

Steve

Good to know it got fixed, without having to resort to something drastic like an overhead. Thanks for the feedback.

------------------

--

Drew E. Harry

Moses Brown School

"This calls for a subtle combination of mathematics and extreme violence." - The Cube