US Army Rangers info needed

Shelby Stantons "World War II Order of Battle is great: Ranger Battalion 29 Feb 44

27 Officers 489 Men

24 .30-cal Lt mgs

6 81mm Mortar

18 60mm Mortar

14 2.75" rockets (bazooka)

6 3/4 ton trucks

9 1/4 ton trucks

56 .45cal submachineguns

338 rifles .30cal

198 pistols .45cal

3 Anti-tank rifles .55-cal

Hope this helps...

Chris

Edited in date and AT rifles

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

[This message has been edited by Airborne (edited 08-07-2000).]

I had to find the book online and order it. It's been so long I don't remember with whom. I remember there were a couple of copies, mine came in mint condition. Sorry I can't be more specific. Search for it and you will find it--highly recommended.

Shelby Stanton also did Vietnam Order of Battle. By book (WWII) is isbn number:

0-88365-775-9 by Galahad Books As I recall there were a couple of versions: Mine is copywrited 1984 and is a large, hardback with a bright red cover.

As for the AT rifles--I agree, I wouldn't want to lug those things. Never remember reading where they were actually used.

-----Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Guest Michael emrys

Be forwarned that most if not all of the forces engaged in the D-Day landings used special TO&Es that were significantly different than normal for their type of unit. I think that for the Pointe du Hoe operation, the Rangers left most of their heavy equipment at home and added scaling ladders and rocket grapnels. If I come across anything more specific I'll pass it along, but don't hold your breath.

BTW, just for information, I presently have Amazon doing a search for Stanton's book and should hear from them in a week or so. I'll try to remember to post any information that results from that.

There's also another online used book service called (I think) abe.com that I haven't tried but have heard good things about.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Formerly Babra:

I'm doing a Pointe du Hoc Operation and my US Army Handbook doesn't have a TO&E for Ranger Battalions.

Anyone got any good info on that? Thanks in advance.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try George Nafziger's OL Collection:

http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/obs.html

And go to:

http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/toe.html

944UQTA: Organizational Summary, American Ranger Battalion, 29 February 1944, Table of Organization 7-85 - 1 pg

944UQTB: Detailed Organization, American Ranger Battalion, Headquarters & Headquarters Company, 29 February 1944, Table of oOrganization 7-86 - 1 pg

944UQTC: Detailed Organization, American Ranger Battalion, Ranger Company, 29 February 1944, Table of Organization 7-86 - 2 pgs

Regards, John Waters

------------------

People who can smile when things go wrong

have found someone else to blame.

Keep in mind that one company landed at Omaha beach when they were unable to see any visual signals from the Pointe-du-Hoc rangers to reinforce the initial assault. In fact, it was there (Omaha) that the U.S. Army Ranger's motto: "Rangers, lead the way!" was born.

I just finished reading "Rangers in World War II", by Robert W. Black ISBN 0-8041-0565-0

He goes into great detail of what the Rangers were carrying, and when. One problem with Pointe-du-hoc, by the end the Rangers were using lots of captured german weapons, so much so that they were fired on by friendlies. No way to model that in CM. He has TOE's and a list of every Ranger who served. It is an inexpensive paperback.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Be forwarned that most if not all of the forces engaged in the D-Day landings used special TO&Es that were significantly different than normal for their type of unit. I think that for the Pointe du Hoe operation, the Rangers left most of their heavy equipment at home and added scaling ladders and rocket grapnels<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Understood. Actually, the operation will begin at the moment the 2nd Rangers have secured a foot-hold on the heights and reinforcements will arrive at the clifftop later. Thus no need to fudge anything in that regard.

I lucked onto an excellent map which shows the location of all the German wire, mines, pillboxes &c in the area, so the map should be a good one.

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.