National D-Day museum in New Orleans. Any good?

Hi,

I'm going to USA for the first time in my life this friday. I'm staying in New Orleans for a week and I'd like to know that has anyone visited the National D-Day museum there? Can you recommend it? I've been in their website and it looks good, but if anyone has visited the museum personally, it would be nice to hear.

JV

Hi JV,

First of all – enjoy New Orleans! It’s great. Be sure to visit the “Funky Pirate” at Bourbon Street, and hear and see the amazing Big Al. Great singer, great band, great place.

I was in New Orleans last week and I did visit the National D-Day museum. Initially, I was very exited. The building is impressive and the ground floor has a collection of a landing craft, a halftrack, a motorbike, and some other stuff. The rest of the museum is filled with pictures, short movies, and lots of small artifacts. I enjoyed seeing their small-arms display with American and German weapons (it was fun to see the Mauser rifle in a museum; I’ve used it myself for Polar Bear protection in the Norwegian Arctic). They also have a bookstore, which isn’t good.

They have made quite an effort in making this museum. However, I wasn’t all that pleased with it, unfortunately. Perhaps, I had expected something different. It is not like the Imperial War Museum in London (if you saw the pictures posted here earlier this Fall). But, now that you know how it is, I guess you will find it OK. It is worth the $7.

Take care,

The Adder

adderlogo_tn.jpg

------------------

"The Germans are such a cruel and inhuman race; they have no word for fluffy"

[This message has been edited by The Adder (edited 11-08-2000).]

I think Adder means Jean Laffyet's Funky Pirate, not the other one closer to Bourbon. There are a number of rainbow flags there (great if that is your thing, bad if it isn't). Also, I would reccomend taking a trip out to Nick's Bar on Tulane Ave. It is in a very crusty neighborhood, but don't worry because cops come there for complemetary drinks. It is truly a unique place. Get a couple Goats Nuts shots and chase them with a Wild Night at the Capri Motel. God I miss the big easy.

WWB

------------------

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salatamus.

Hi guys,

I live in New Orleans but havn't been to the D-Day Museum yet. I have heard, from several friends and relatives, that it is very well done. Plan to spend at least 4-5 hours there, maybe longer if you're that fanatical about WWII, which most of us on this board are.

From what I gathered there are lots of 1st person accounts, both oral and written. Since Stephan Ambrose was the chief architect of the museum, you will probably see and hear lots of qoutes that already appear in his books. My impression is that the general public will be facinated by this museum but us grognards who have already seen and heard lots of this material will a little less so.

But no matter, it is still worth the price of admission and the time spent. I think it's only $7 admission.

As far as bars to visit:

In the French Quarter:

1. O'Flahertys Irish Channel Pub - Lots of Irish Beer, music and dancing - this makes for a great drunken experience. located on Touluse St. only 3 blocks off of Bourban St.

2. Pat O'Brien's - it's the tourist thing to do but still worth visiting. Don't drink too many hurricanes, they're stronger than they taste.

3. The Dungeon - this freaky place is a must. It doesn't open until midnight but it's worth it. When you get there go upstairs and dance with the freaks, lots of fun. Also on Touluse st. right off of Bourban St.

4. If you want to check out the gay side of bourban then go to Oz.

5. lots of blues clubs, too many to mention, almost all of them are on bourban st.

6. lots of cheezy strip clubs, too many to mention, but all of them are fun, or should I say funny.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pak40:

Hi guys,

6. lots of cheezy strip clubs, too many to mention, but all of them are fun, or should I say funny.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like BIG DADDYS! Clearly identifiable by the mechanical legs sticking out of the window onto Bourbon. And if you have a good night at Harrah's, I highly recommend Ricks Cabaret. Really cool when you can drop a couple of c-notes.

WWB

------------------

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salatamus.

I enjoyed the museum immensly. I understood going in that much space was given to the home front and that they did't have a collection of large vehicles, but what was there was interesting anyway. The day I went there was a HIggens boat driver there as a museum volunteer talking to people about his experiences (they have a landing craft on display. I guess that they had it commissioned from bluprints). There were many vets both working and patrons and it was facinating hearing them talk aout their experiences pointing to maps showing where they landed (and where they were supposed to land). The small arms collection was great and even installations like the broken up Horsa (I think it was, anyway) was fascinating. Also enjoyed the media stations with accounts from both sides, and civllians who were both there and on the home front.

I guess if you go in knowing what it is and it isn't, it helps. It's not a tank museum, and it's not strictly about D-Day... but rather about D-Day and the events leading up to it told from a soldier in the trenches perspecive but to the folksback home.

The only thing that I didn't like were some ofthe younger volunteers not having much bredth of knowlege. ONe young man, a volunteer at the musuem, was telling a patron in that MG34's were prized by the German soldiery as they were more hand crafted than the MG42 and that the MG42 was little more of an assembly line tradeoff.

------------------

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" - G.W. Bush, January 2000

I am an enthusiastic player of CM and enthusiast for the history about second World war.I had just finished to buy a book about day D (Sperheading D-Day), my English is not very flowing and i have one question

in brief words ¿ can you tell me how the Bangalore torpedo work?

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PershingII:

I am an enthusiastic player of CM and enthusiast for the history about second World war.I had just finished to buy a book about day D (Sperheading D-Day), my English is not very flowing and i have one question

in brief words ¿ can you tell me how the Bangalore torpedo work?

Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not an explosives expert but from what I've read, the bangalor torpedoe was a length of pipe broken down into sections and assembled before being used which hade a fuse at one end. It was used to clear wire obstructions by combat engineers or commandoes. Others probably can tell you more about it.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.