WIN 2000 and Voodoo3 WORK!!!

Thanks for everyone that tried to help me with my non-working system.

I finally got some time to fiddle with the system, and once I set the monitor back to 640x480 under windows CM came up just fine and is now actually running in what appears to be Glide.

Thanks again; I feel like is Christmas already again!

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolColJ:

I'm just curious as to why your using Win 2000? Your playing on your server? tongue.gif

<marquee>my fingers are itchey!</marquee>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<shrug> have Win2k on my main PC right now. The RTM was all over the place 3 weeks ago. I imagine that many have W2KPro installed by now... especially with the MS/Voodoo drivers finally working. Be nice when 3dfx finally releases a full suite, but it does work now.

I was using Win95, but got into developing certain applications, web based, that required either NT or Win2000. So, since I got a free copy of Win2000, I installed it.

I actually use this computer for things other than playing games, and for that Win2000 works great. Much faster and more stable than either product in the W9x series.

Mike

Now that I picked up a sound card that was natively supported (the aureal Vortex 2), life has been rosier. It is a much quicker and far mroe stable OS than Win9x *if* you've got the horsepower to run it properly.

2 +ve things I've noticed;

1) Office 2000 is much faster.

2) Cable modem speed is approx 25% quicker (this I don't understand, but W2K dynamically reassigned my subnet mask, which led to an interesting email from my IP ).

Ah well, as always what runs runs well. What doesn't I always conclude is a pile of ****.

Tom

From what I've heard, Win 2000 would be more accurately named NT 5. It's more of a developers OS than a casual users. The prices I have seen are $200 for the upgrade from Win 98. I really don't think it will be the answer for gamers, Win Millenium will be the choice for most. I'll get Win 2000 just because of it's advanced language capabilities, especially when integrated with Office 2000. I'm a linguist and need this ability (And Win 98 falls short in this regard.).

Civdiv; poking around with a hex editor reveals a lot of files with the phrase 'NT5' embedded in them smile.gif

Various system utilities refer to the final release as NT 5 build 2195

Is it a 'gaming' platform? No, but then what is except consoles? It's more stable than W98/85, which in my opinion makes it a better gaming platform. Your mileage may vary of course.

4 games which a week ago had me cursing at W2000 now work flawlessly since I put in a W2000 certified soundcard.

Anyway, to return to the topic at hand, word has it that Voodoo 2&3 native drivers will be out in a few weeks.

Tom