How can we make CM a huge success?

Combat Mission is going to be a long lived classic , people will we buying CM for years.

It seems like a lot of people are looking at this as just another release , i believe Steve and Charles have created a game that will be used (with improvments)for years to come.

Many of my strategy/war games are well over 1 year old. Pacific war was well over a year old when I finally tracked it down.

Wargames cannot be outclassed as easily, as say, a flight simulator. Sure the graphics are good, but, a good wargame relies on how detailed it is BEYOND mere graphics. You can't judge a wargame along the same lines as a Doom type game.

Guest Scott Clinton

> I don't see how people would be interested

> in a game over 1 year old

I don't buy a new (full priced) PC game unless I am fairly confident that I will be playing it at LEAST 2 years from now.

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sgt.Morgue:

It seems like a lot of people are looking at this as just another release<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, I looked at it like this for the longest, until I was reading thru the ABOUT column.

That's what I'm getting at though.

The market is so pumped up with the NEW and BIGGER and BETTER ****, that I don't think an average gamer would be interested in CM if he finds out about it when it's 1 year old.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

If BTS avoids consecutively numbering various versions of CM, then none of them will seem particularly out of date

Instead of CM1: Beyond Overlord they just call it CM: Beyond Overlord. The next installment isn't CM2, it's just CM: Barbarossa to Berlin (pretty catchy title, huh? smile.gif ) That way later installments don't make the earlier ones seem out of date.

There might need to be some rejiggering of names if earlier titles get retrofitted with new enhancements.

Jason

Guest R Cunningham

I wasn't debating the value of CM in 6 months or a year. I was just pointing out that there are potential buyers ("crossover" buyers) who will not buy games at full price because that is their philosophy just like there are folks who will always buy a new release on the first day. I am just wondering how many folks who like to wait and get titles cheaper will look at the demo get interested but not interested enough to pay full price. "I'll wait for the price to drop..it ain't dropping...well C&C Tiberian Sun is on $15 maybe I'll get that instead."

To the comment that some of us are treating this as just another release, yes, I am doing that because that is what the average potential buyer will do. You can't bank on the notion that CM is so special it will defy the normal paradigm and change people's expectations. I don't think it will be intuitively obvious to the average gamer that CM special.

Another point. Will CM be available by mailorder separate from the internet? Some games have blurbs on the boxes that talk about internet access is required to use all the features (auto update and multiplayer etc.) Everyone here has internet access one way or another but how many wargamer types don't use the internet for whatever reason? What happens when they read about CM in a magazine? Will there be an address they can write to?

Maybe BTS has already anayzed this stuff to death, but I haven't seen it discussed yet.

Anyway it will be interesting to see how this all works out once it is released in June 2002 :P ....CM equals the Daikatana of the wargaming world? I remember when we thought it would be out by this time last year.

Guest Scott Clinton

Mr. C

I get your point, and I basically agree with what you say.

But you must remember it was never the intention of "Battlefront.com" to market CM (or any of thier games) to the casual gamer crowd you describe. At least that is my take on their manefesto, et. al.

They have their target market and they are sticking to it. I am just happy that that market is ME! :)

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 03-28-2000).]

Guest R Cunningham

I read the manifesto again before that last post.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>They have their target market and they are sticking to it. I am just happy that that market is ME! :)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My concern is that the target audience isn't big enough. I mean the way it looks now the target audience is wargamers with internet access. How many wargamers and other potential CM buyers don't have that internet access?

Got to at least get the gold demo on the game mag CDs.

I guess I am just wondering needlessly, 'cause BTS seem satisfied with their approach and the pre-orders they have so far. I just keep thinking about the mere 1,298 copies of TOAW II being sold in 1999.