Off subject World War II Books

Guest scurlock

"Commando Extraordinary" by Charles Foley- story of Otto Skorzeny.

"Hitler's Generals" edited by Corelli Barnett- good thumbnails of the Volk you'll be facing- or serving.

"The Mask of Command" by John Keegan.

"Company Commander" was really great.

Another take on the Yamato's last banzai: "A Glorious Way to Die" by Russell Spurr (not Euro theater, though).

For the record, I never took Sven Hassel's work seriously, and thought it was simply escapist fiction with a better-than-average level of realism for things Wehrmacht. The site noted above "exposing" Hassel may be absolutely correct, but it sure sounds like the author has an axe to grind with Danes and others. There is something a little hysterical about his style which makes me wonder....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I must admit that I quickly tired of the author's repeated use of phrases like "any and all" -- as in "Wittmann used any and all chances he had to fire on the ..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one that got me was "...the brave panzer commander..." I lost count of how many times he used that phrase. I found the content to be very interesting. I particularly enjoyed the accounts of his time in a StuG III ausf A. Someone on this board called StuGs "German coffins"... I think he should read this book smile.gif

------------------

---

Dan Brown

dbrown@owc.net

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>For the record, I never took Sven Hassel's work seriously, and thought it was simply escapist fiction with a better-than-average level of realism for things Wehrmacht. The site noted above "exposing" Hassel may be absolutely correct, but it sure sounds like the author has an axe to grind with Danes and others. There is something a little hysterical about his style which makes me wonder....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the author of that article is a Danish journalist that hates traitors and conmen. That's why he wrote that article in the first place. I've read all the Sven Hassel books twice and I'll always consider them great entertainment but the guy is lying through his ears, that's what I don't like. For the record those books were the first books without pictures I ever bothered to read. Before that I usually just read the picture articles in the Time Life serie.

"Retreat from Leningrad: Army Group North, 1944/1945"

"German Battle Tactics on the Russian Front, 1941-1945"

Both from Steven Newton, published by Schiffer Books.

"The 900 Days, The Siege of Leningrad", I forget who.

"Panzer Truppen, The Complete Guide to the Creation and Combat Employment of Germany's Tank Force, 1933-1942"

"Panzer Truppen, The Complete Guide to the Creation and Combat Employment of Germany's Tank Force,1943-1945", both by Thomas Jentz, again by Schiffer Books.

Next on my list are Spielberger's books on the PzIII, PzIV, Stg, and Panther.

Scurlock, send me your E-Mail address and I'll drop you a list of books I've used in the area of scenario design for CM and a lot of other WW2 scenarios, West Front.

As to OOB for the Brits, I just found a very good one entitled,

From D-Day to VE-Day

Volume 2: The British Soldier

Jean Bouchery

Organisation, Armament, Tanks, Vehicles

Great book, breaking down all the infantry and armored divisions of the UK in this theater during that time...Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Wild Bill's Raiders

Director of Scenario Design,

The Gamers Net