Anyone pre-target ambushes in setup phase?

I asked this question a month ago in a related thread and didn't get an answer yet, so I'll start a new thread.

Steve said in an earlier post that HQ units can pre-target ambush points throughout the map during the setup phase. Then you can target any unit to any of the ambush points during the game. I tried that and 1) there is a limit to the number of ambush markers you can place and 2) all my markers disappeared after the first move. Limiting the number of markers you can place is fine. But why would they disappear after the first move? I was counting on those markers being there for my mortar teams, sort of like a poor mans TRP. When they disappeared so did part of my strategy.

Has this feature been removed in subsequent patches (subsequent to the beta demo, which was the time frame Steve made his comments)? Or am I interpreting the pre-targetting of ambush markers incorrectly (i.e., it's only good for the first turn)?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Juardis,

I obviously can't give you the official word on the subject.

The way I see it though, ambush points abstract HQ coordination for the ambush among all participating squads. It is correct then that when HQ move the ambush points disappear. There is no HQ there to coordinate the attack!

Moving the HQ around and setting up ambushes in the setup phase is IMO an abuse of the ambush feature and shouldn't be allowed at all.

Juardis wrote,

The way I see it though, ambush points abstract HQ coordination for the ambush among all participating squads. It is correct then that when HQ move the ambush points disappear. There is no HQ there to coordinate ethe attack!

Well, it could be interpreted as having the HQ walk along the platoon's positions and saying to one squad: "You guys hold your fire until the enemy is at that tree. Understood?" before continuing to the second squad's position.

- Tommi

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TexasToast:

IIRC, ambush markers go away if nobody targets them for a turn (that's the only way to get rid of them). Sounds like that is what happened to you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I didn't use any the first turn. So maybe I should target them to keep them around? Or will they disappear if the HQ unit is out of LOS of them? As far as abusing ambush markers, I disagree. It's like tss said AFAIC.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

TSS, Juardis,

In Real Life it is hardly believeable a trigger-happy and nervous squad would hold their fire, just because they were told by an officer to not fire until the enemy approaches e.g to 20m.

Soldiers should be more likely to hold their fire if they trust their leader is behind them holding the line.

IMO.

Guest Madmatt

The ambush marker will disapear if it is not targeted for one turn. I think it actually gets all mad at the player, gets up and storms off the map waving its little ambush hand at you in disgust. At least mine does. Either way, you don't need a HQ unit with LOS of one to keep it happy and on the board. Just target it and it will stay right where it belongs and all nice and content.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-28-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

The ambush marker will disapear if it is not targeted for one turn. I think it actually gets all mad at the player, gets up and storms off the map waving its little ambush hand at you in disgust. At least mine does. Either way, you don't need a HQ unit with LOS of one to keep it happy and on the board. Just target it and it will stay right where it belongs and all nice and content.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-28-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO biggrin.gif Now THAT was funny. Thanks Madmatt (now...where's 1.1 damnit wink.gif )

------------------

Jeff Abbott