8cm PAW and the 88mm Puppchen

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

What excatly are these. In all my WW2 studies I don't think I've even heard of these or even seen one. Are they Recoiless rifles or just extra cheap anti-tank guns. If they were just cheap tank guns why were the germans not strapping them to the PSW 234 series and the SPW 250 series?

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Thanks again Teutonicc, but that only answered my question about the puppchen being an upgunned Shreck. Is the 8cm PAW also a rocket powered shaped charge? Or is it a Shaped charge round for a AT gun? In the game the grapics for the PAW make it seem like a gun, as it does not have the rocket WOOSH or the arc through flight like the Puppchen. Thanks for the response.

Excerpt from "The Guns 1939 - 45" by Ian V. Hogg:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>...By way of contrast, consider another German development which was one of the rare occasions when a completely new idea was taken into use. In the last year or two of the war, considerable demand arose in all the contending armies for light-weight anti-tank weapons for infantry use. The first solution was to use rocket launchers...Then came the recoilless guns. All these were well suited to the task of throwing a hollow-charge shell with sufficient accuracy and velocity to hit a fairly close tank, but they all suffered from drawbacks of one sort or another. The two greatest drawbacks were that they were all prodigal with propellant, and they all gave off a prominent back-flash...

Rheinmetal-Borsig produced the answer in 1944 when they came up with the High-Low Pressure System'. The principle they developed was to burn a small quantity of propellant in a small closed chamber at high pressure, then leak the gas into a larger low-pressure chamber in which it could act upon the projectile. The design of the cartridge case included a perforated nozzle plate between the charge and the projectile. This was a worked-over finned mortar bomb with a hollow charge head, and the tail fin boom was attached to the nozzle plate so that the cartridge and bomb formed a fixed round. The charge, about 3/4 pounds of powder, was ignited in the usual way and generated about seven tons of pressure behind the nozzle plate, which had eight holes in it. This high pressure now leaked through the holes, expanding into the chamber space behind the projectile to give a driving pressure of about three and a half tons. This low working pressure allowed a thin-walled projectile, giving more HE payload, and also a thin-walled gun barrel, hence less weight for the gunners to heave about. The whole gun, which entered service as the 8cm Panzer Abwehr Werfer 600, weighed about 1,300 pounds in action and was so successful that plans were laid for using this system to supplant the recoilless gun entirely..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope that assists.

------------------

Sounds like 100% weapons-grade bolonium to me.

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Wow thanks, very cool info. Guess Hitler picked a fight too soon with Poland to ever start mounting this weapon on SPW-250s or PSWs. Or could these chassies even handle the weight of this 1,300 pound gun.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Johnson-<THC>-:

Wow thanks, very cool info. Guess Hitler picked a fight too soon with Poland to ever start mounting this weapon on SPW-250s or PSWs. Or could these chassies even handle the weight of this 1,300 pound gun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since the 37mm AT gun [ >950 lb] was mounted from the beginning and 75L24 mounted later, I don't see why the PAW couldn't be mounted on a SPW.